link second dc to first dc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• link second dc to first dc

I had a first DC and a second DC. I had to formated first DC. in the second DC are all users, gpo, computers. haw can I do to have it on the first DC, (the new one) ? the replication is not working .it tells me that second DC not see first DC(whit the fresh windows and active directory).

Re: link second dc to first dc

Hi,

You'll have to be a bit clearer than this to get a better answer.
    Did you format the first DC or Demote (Dcpromo)?
    If the first, did you seize any FSMO roles? cleaned the metadata?
    Are they both in the same site?
    What's your AD structure?etc etc.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Check that the IPs are on the same subnet and that the 2nd DC is registered in DNS?

Also, where are the FSMO roles?

Was the reformatted DC called the same name as before?

Did you seize FSMO roles at all? If so, did you clean all meta data, DNS and AD Sites and Services entries for the 1st DC before joining it back to the domain?

Have you joined the re-formatted DC to the existing domain and forest?

Comment

We crossed L4ndy when typing this response.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
          We crossed L4ndy when typing this response.
          Ah well, it's not the first time either Must be thinking on the same wavelength
          Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
            Hi,

You'll have to be a bit clearer than this to get a better answer.
            Did you format the first DC or Demote (Dcpromo)?
            If the first, did you seize any FSMO roles? cleaned the metadata?
            Are they both in the same site?
            What's your AD structure?etc etc.
            I formated it. how can I check fsm rols and metadata?
            yes ar both in the same site.
            are 2 servers. was a first dc and a secon dc. the replication works till the windows on the first, died. now the user are login into the second dc. on second dc are the old users and gpo, everithing. the first dc is now whit a new windows and active dir is fresh installed

Comment

Check that the IPs are on the same subnet and that the 2nd DC is registered in DNS?

Also, where are the FSMO roles?

Was the reformatted DC called the same name as before?

Did you seize FSMO roles at all? If so, did you clean all meta data, DNS and AD Sites and Services entries for the 1st DC before joining it back to the domain?

Have you joined the re-formatted DC to the existing domain and forest?
              the 2-nd was registred in dns. the first has the same name. how can I cleam the meta?
              "Have you joined the re-formatted DC to the existing domain and forest?" I try this to, but when I instal active dir on the "first" dc it tells me that the computer was put out and put inthe new domain

Comment

Originally posted by patrysib View Post
                I formated it. how can I check fsm rols and metadata?
                yes ar both in the same site.
                are 2 servers. was a first dc and a secon dc. the replication works till the windows on the first, died. now the user are login into the second dc. on second dc are the old users and gpo, everithing. the first dc is now whit a new windows and active dir is fresh installed
                I seems to me that you are confusing AD with DC (Or I might be lost in translation here!) or are we talking about two different Domains?
                There is only one AD database and that is replicated amongs all the DCs.
                Until you post something to suggest that you have some sort of understanding of AD and give us a clear picture of your setup, then, I would suggest you hire someone to have a look at it as you might do more damage than good.

Here are some links anyway:

Checking FSMO roles

How to seize FSMO roles

Cleanup metadata
                Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

the server that I formated is that with Ad (1DC).

Comment

on active directory sites and services (on 1dc), I addes the serve whith second DC, but I don`t have the "NTDS settings"

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
                      Ah well, it's not the first time either Must be thinking on the same wavelength
                      The forum can do that to you.

Comment

It sounds to me that the original 1st DC has not been joined to the existing domain. Take a look at L4ndy's links below. You first need to make sure FSMO roles are on the 2nd DC and that it is a GC and has DNS, unless you have DNS elsewhere.

With regards to the original DC1, make sure the TCP/IP settings are the same as DC2, apart from the IP address that needs to be unique. This means the DNS as well.

You then DCPROMO DC1 and join it as an additional DC in the existing Forest and Domain. You may be best to re-format first of all, if you have already done this.

Comment

on the first dc, the formated one I have:

schema owner server-ad.domeniu.local
                          domain role owner server-ad.domeniu.local
                          PDC role server-ad.domeniu.local
                          RID pool manager server-ad.domeniu.local
                          infrastructure owner server-ad.domeniu.local

on the second dc, the old one I have:
                          schema owner server-ad2.domeniu.local
                          domain role owner server-ad2.domeniu.local
                          PDC role server-ad2.domeniu.local
                          RID pool manager server-ad2.domeniu.local
                          infrastructure owner server-ad2.domeniu.local

I did not clear meta data. if supose I clear it, what should do next? if I clear metata data I do not risc to lose the users, gpo, computers ... ?

Comment

I tried to install first server like an aditional dc and it tells me that i do not have rights to create NTDS settings, but I am an enterprize admin. the second DC does not let me to create a GPO because it does not see the domain controller. there is a script that help me to export data: users, passwords, computers and imported them into a new server?

Comment

It sounds to me that the original 1st DC has not been joined to the existing domain. Take a look at L4ndy's links below. You first need to make sure FSMO roles are on the 2nd DC and that it is a GC and has DNS, unless you have DNS elsewhere.

With regards to the original DC1, make sure the TCP/IP settings are the same as DC2, apart from the IP address that needs to be unique. This means the DNS as well.

You then DCPROMO DC1 and join it as an additional DC in the existing Forest and Domain. You may be best to re-format first of all, if you have already done this.
                              You have 2 DCs within different Domains. e.g. You should only have 5 FSMO roles in the domain and you have 10.

Power off your old DC and check everything works ok.

Clean up all metadata.

Reinstall the old DC and fully patch it.

This time, when you use DCPROMO, add it as another DC in the current domain and forest.

Comment

Working...
                              X