Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue after renaming domain controller

Hi,

After configuring a DC ad everything working find I was forced to change the name of the domain controller. Typically I would prefer to redo everything but because of time (only had three days to setup an office with a server and redo 14 workstations) I could not.

I used the "netdom.exe" method and explained on the "Windows 2003 Domain Controller Rename" document everything worked fine until I ether restart the server or after 24 hours where the "A" record keeps coming back pointing to the old name.

I have tried to delete the record and recreated with the correct IP but it get over written.

DC used to be "MFS1" with IP 192.168.10.200 and because of software compatibility i had to rename the DC to "SRV01" IP remains the same and then take a XP box and name it "MFS1" with IP 192.168.10.205. but the DNS server keeps changing the "A" record to "MFS1" IP 192.168.10.200" instead or 192.168.10.205.

Also when I try to join the "MFS1" unit to the domain it gives me the following error;
    "no mapping between account names and security IDs was done"

An help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    RudyM

Re: Issue after renaming domain controller

My first thought is: Start all over. I'll think on it and do a bit of research and get back to you. I've never renamed a domain controller before.

Maybe there's some kind of weird SIDS issue going on?

I would guess that you would demote it from being a DC, rename it, rejoin the domain and the promote it. Is that what the instructions basically covered?

Or is this the only DC in the domain? If it's the only DC in the domain and it's a new build out I would just recreate the domain. 3 days? That's plenty of time. Might as well get it as clean as possible from the get go.

Anywaaaaays.. I'll see what I can find as an alternative.

Comment

Agree with parkham here.... if its a single DC then start from scratch. 3 days is plenty of time to get it done. Perhaps you can start with a 64 bit windows 2008 imstallation as well

bio..

Comment

Renaming a DC in my opinion 9 times out of 10 is always a bad idea. The name of the DC is rather cosmectic and doesnt have any impact on the servers actual funtionality. You would have been better off building another DC allowing them to replicate, migrate the FSMO roles and then decommision the old server. If you only have one server theres always the vritualisation route on a PC at least so you could swing the DC to that and then back to the initial hardware. At least that way your prodcution enviroment has no downtime and you can build the spec as you wish.

Comment

I agree with you all in a typical scenario or under normal circumstances I would never rename a domain control, but unfortunately starting over was not an option at the time or at this point. I have to find the solution ad fix the problem

Thanks the suggestions and when i have the solution i will post it.

Thanks
          RudyM

Comment

Assuming you have only one DNS server and it's on the DC in question. Yes?

Try replacing the cache.dns file first..then check out the these MS links.
            1. Stop DNS service at c:\<system root>\system32\DNS.
            2. Rename the cache.dns to cache.old.
            3. Copy the cache.dns from the Sample folder to the DNS folder.
            4. Restart the DNS service.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/244132/en-us
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249868/en-us

Comment

Hello Parkham,

Thanks for you feedback but unfortunately it did not fix it. I have notice that the "A" record replacement happens either when I restart the server or sometime between 10PM and 12AM.

Thanks
              RudyM

Comment

Do you have WINS setup to update DNS?
                Are your DNS Zones AD integrated?

Assuming you have only one DNS server and it's on the DC in question. Yes?
                Try this:

Find the A record in question.
                Right click on it, go to properties.
                Click on the Security tab.
                Assign all users or groups that have permissions set to read and nothing else.

If some of the permissions are greyed out, then go to advanced button, uncheck "Inherit from...." Click copy on the pop box and then assign all users/groups etc. to read and nothing else. Do the same thing on its associated PTR as well.

If that works, then leave it alone until you can find out what's making it change back. It might not be pretty, but if it works, it'll buy you some time.

Please answer the three questions at the top if you don't mind.
                Last edited by Parkham; 2nd June 2009, 17:21.

Comment

I'd be interested to see how things went for you. Will you provide an update?

Comment

Did you remove the previous name as an alternative name when using netdom?

Comment

Working...
                    X