ntbackup.exe issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ntbackup.exe issues

When setting up an ntbackup job on a W2K3 server the backup window closes when trying to set the schedule for a job.

The following errors are logged in event viewer:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Application Error
    Event Category: (100)
    Event ID: 1000
    Date: 5/27/2009
    Time: 9:35:39 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: MLRPWINAPP01
    Description:
    Faulting application ntbackup.exe, version 5.2.3790.3959, faulting module ntbackup.exe, version 5.2.3790.3959, fault address 0x000609f9.
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
    0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
    0010: 75 72 65 20 20 6e 74 62 ure ntb
    0018: 61 63 6b 75 70 2e 65 78 ackup.ex
    0020: 65 20 35 2e 32 2e 33 37 e 5.2.37
    0028: 39 30 2e 33 39 35 39 20 90.3959
    0030: 69 6e 20 6e 74 62 61 63 in ntbac
    0038: 6b 75 70 2e 65 78 65 20 kup.exe
    0040: 35 2e 32 2e 33 37 39 30 5.2.3790
    0048: 2e 33 39 35 39 20 61 74 .3959 at
    0050: 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 offset
    0058: 30 30 30 36 30 39 66 39 000609f9

The dump files and accompat.txt files sent to MS in the error report contain basically the same info.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

I am currently creating a batch file containing an ntbackup command to perform the work I was trying to get done with the GUI, I was just curious if anyone has seen this and knows a fix.

Thanks in advance!

Re: ntbackup.exe issues

Oddly enough this issue seems to be caused when I try to schedule the job. A backup job can be created and ran but in trying to schedule my batch script to run the backup job I get the following:

Access denied error 0x80070005

I am removing recently installed updates from the system in hopes to clear this issue...

More to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeeye View Post
      Oddly enough this issue seems to be caused when I try to schedule the job. A backup job can be created and ran but in trying to schedule my batch script to run the backup job I get the following:

Access denied error 0x80070005

I am removing recently installed updates from the system in hopes to clear this issue...

More to follow.
      Ensure the account you are using is either and Administrator account or a member of the "Backup Operators" group on the Local machine.

Comment

Yes the user creating the task is a member of damain admins, local admins backup operators and server operators

Comment

Yes the user creating the task is a member of damain admins, local admins backup operators and server operators
          Can you run NTbackup manually?

Comment

See your earlier quote from my post to answer this question.

Comment

See your earlier quote from my post to answer this question.
              Apologies. Then this is positively an issue with the account being used for the backup. Where is this script executing from?

Comment

Actually, it's not a backup execution issue, its a task scheduler issue.

When trying to create any scheduled task, I get the following:

Error 0x80070005: Access Denied

It does not matter where the executable is, or the permissions on it. I am trying to create a task as the local Administrator, and I get the message, the same goes for a domain admin. Even the command line schtasks command pukes with:

Error, the specified task name already exists under some other user in the system

When I query the tasks on this server I get the following

c:\schtasks

Info: there are no scheduled tasks present on the system

I am working on scheduling a job with the at command, but the syntax is a killer.

Wish me luck!

Comment

Nevermind, after I got the syntax of the at command right I get the following:

Access Denied. ;(

Comment

Has the server been promoted to or demoted from a DC recently?
                    If so, there are issues with task scheduler and crypto keys which certainly affect VSS and, IIRC affect backups (sorry, filed the link somewhere very safe...)
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Nope, this server has been a domain member since it was built, and this issue has just surfaced. I removed all the updates that have been installed since the last task was successfully created, with no change. I have also done the steps outlined here:
                      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909444

with no effect. I can not even schedule calc.exe I get the same error from task scheduler no matter what the command,

The new task could not be created.
                      The specific error is:
                      0x80070005: Access is denied.
                      Try using the Task page bowse button to locate the application.
                      Last edited by georgeeye; 27th May 2009, 19:41. Reason: Added complete error message

Comment

Have you seen this article:
                        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/867466/en-us
                        Tom Jones
                        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, and I have applied these permissions as well, no change.

Comment

In the GPO try editing the following:
                            Go to Computer Configuration/ Windows Settings/ Security Settings/ File System
                            Right click on file system an select Add File then browse to %system root %\Tasks In the administrators and system security tabs select full control click ok then select Replace existing permissions on all subfolders and files with inheritable permissions.
                            This should fix your problem
                            Chears

Comment

Working...
                            X