Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wINDOWS network

Hi Folks,

Please guide me...in building a network and IP Adressing.

I have a router[wireless] provided by our ISP which assigns the IP adress automatically to client machines in the n/w...in the series 192.168.1.x

I have a DC [w2k3 this is the DNS server too] and an exchange [w2k3] installed.

IP Adressing for both these two are as follows

On DC i have 2 lan cards for one the IP adress is below..and the next one is set to obtain IP adress automatically

one Ip I assigned for DC is

dns 192.168.3.1

For this DC as I have assigned DHCP for the 2'nd it will obtain IP from Router and it can access internet

for the 2'nd PC I have only one Lan card..and I assigned IP

dns 192.168.3.1

I would like to browse internet from this PC too..
    How can I make this happen..what IP and DNS i need to config to make my wish possible?

If i enable DHCP on this LAN..it will not communicated with the DC..so i think its not an option..

Please suggest me...

Thanks in Advance

Re: wINDOWS network

Have a look at the MS KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324286 , it provides information on how to use ICS. Although it recommends not to use ICS on a network where a Windows 2003 DC exists. It does lead onto using NAT rather then ICS which can also be provided through Windows 2003.

A good article for configuring NAT is available at http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...iguration.html you could configure your DC to be the NAT server too.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by sysadmin1 View Post
      Hi Folks,

Please guide me...in building a network and IP Adressing.

I have a router[wireless] provided by our ISP which assigns the IP adress automatically to client machines in the n/w...in the series 192.168.1.x

I have a DC [w2k3 this is the DNS server too] and an exchange [w2k3] installed.

IP Adressing for both these two are as follows

On DC i have 2 lan cards for one the IP adress is below..and the next one is set to obtain IP adress automatically

one Ip I assigned for DC is

dns 192.168.3.1

For this DC as I have assigned DHCP for the 2'nd it will obtain IP from Router and it can access internet

for the 2'nd PC I have only one Lan card..and I assigned IP

dns 192.168.3.1

I would like to browse internet from this PC too..
      How can I make this happen..what IP and DNS i need to config to make my wish possible?

If i enable DHCP on this LAN..it will not communicated with the DC..so i think its not an option..

Please suggest me...

Thanks in Advance
      This seems rather messy. You only need one device on your segment/LAN providing DHCP services. Because you have an exchange server it is imperative that all clients can talk to the local DNS server for name resolution/AD functionality.

In addition what is your reasoning for having a multi-homed DC? The DC should only have one Nic with a static IP configuration. The other nic is simply not required.

The PC should be able to browse the internet if it is on the same subnet as the router. Judging by your description and IP configuration this should already be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by spar1grep View Post
        Have a look at the MS KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324286 , it provides information on how to use ICS. Although it recommends not to use ICS on a network where a Windows 2003 DC exists. It does lead onto using NAT rather then ICS which can also be provided through Windows 2003.

A good article for configuring NAT is available at http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...iguration.html you could configure your DC to be the NAT server too.

Hope this helps.
        He's using NAT'ed IP address's. Presuming he knows what he is doing NAT should already be set up on his gateway router. ICS isnt required in this scenario as DHCP services are already present. In addition ICS is designed for small work group topologies. It doesn't allow for any scalability as DHCP does.

Comment

ICS will only be required if that system is to be dedicated the internet access and you want to control it via that computer.

As mentioned, keep it simple and let DHCP allocate the Gateway of the router, so the clients connect to it directly.

The wireless router probably gives you other security controls you cna use of you wish. e.g. MAC filtering and content control or even Firewall and AV services. It's important that the firewall is activer on the router and on client machines as you will be allowing direct internet access.

Comment

I can imagine how confusing things like this can be to someone not used to setting up the various things.

They normal way to set up most standard networks is:

Internet <-> Router <-> Switch

PCs and DC to switch.

I can only imagine you'd need two NICs in the server if you want to run something like Routing and Remote Access or ISA. From the sounds of it you could get away with disabling one.

My recommendation would be:

1) Change the router IP to the right subnet, so say 192.168.3.254 to keep it out the way and turn the DHCP server off on it.

2) Turn off the NIC in the server that is currently getting DHCP from the router

3) Turn on DHCP on the server, make sure it has the gateway set to the new IP address of the router (.254) and DNS set to the IP address of the server (.1).

4) Make sure that the router is physically connected to the same switch as everything else and not stuck on the disabled NIC on the server.

5) Check DNS on the server and make sure that the IP of the router is listed in the Forwarders, or alternatively your Internet Provider's DNS servers if DNS on the router is flakey.

Comment

Working...
            X