Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk space for AD

Hi all,

I'm newbie for Microsoft AD, if the environment is Single Forest Single Domain.
    Can 65GB HDD space enough to use for AD and Windows Server 2003.

Currently I plan to add additional DC to the environment.
    Can I bring up a DC to install AD in D:\Drive? But my whole environment is install AD Database, Log, Sysvol....in C:\.
    Last edited by kynixtanls; 25th May 2009, 11:51.

Re: Disk space for AD

Probably yes, but it depends on the size of your environment and what else you want the server to do

HAve a look at this tool: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en to get a better idea of what you need
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yes ,
      but I think it depend on how much your objects ( Computers , users , printers ...) and you have to put in mind that auditing is cost too much of space .

Comment

Hi kareem_naser & Ossian,

Thanks for advise.
        I may need to learn more.

1. The AD Sizer is for Windows 2000, can it use for estimate Windows 2003 Environment?

2. Currently my environment, AD Database and log are install on C:\Windows\NTDS. Can I bring up "additional DC for existing Domain" and point the AD Database and log in D:\NTDS?

3. If I configure in this way, does it have problem for replication?

Comment

I recommend that you install AD to the default path of the C: drive. 65GB is more than enough space. Microsoft has exact size specs for AD objects but I don't remember the link for it. Our AD database comprises about 1,000 users and about 500 groups and the AD database is only 57MB.

Comment

Joe,
            Not arguing with you, but why put it on the C drive?
            Personally I put it on a separate partition (typically D:\ActiveDirectory) and IIRC the MS advice is to separate out the logs from the database in a large environment

Kinixtanls,
            The tool should be OK with 2003, but see if you can for a later version
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Have to agree. Ours is 3.8GB and that was defragmented 2 months ago.
              Better performance as well.
              cheers
              Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Tom & Andy: I agree with you regarding splitting it out as per MS, but the OP said he was a newbie and I tend to follow the mantra of KIS. IMHO changing the default location for the AD components complicates the configuration for someone who is not experienced and may make recovery more difficult in the future if the need arises (depending on hardware config, RAID settings, backup and restore method used, etc.). So that's my two cents on the matter.

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for reply.

I had learn something with yours reply.

I try read from MS Press book about DC promo, it allow to choose the location to store AD DB, log, and SYSVOL.

But I wonder if an environment store those (AD DB, log, and SYSVOL) in C:\Windows.
                  Can we promo existing DC and store those (AD DB, log, and SYSVOL) in D:\

Does it bring any problem for Replication?

Comment

You will have no problems storing them elsewhere (see my Post #6 above), but put them in a folder inside D:\ for ease of management
                    How big is C:\?
                    How big is D:\?
                    How many users do you need (now and planned)?
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Hi Ossian,

Thanks for reply.
                      The disk size for C:\ is 65GB.
                      D:\ will be add additional HDD for 160GB.

Just want to clarify, is DC between DC disk size which store (AD DB, LOG, Sysvol) need to be same?
                      Example Root DC disk size is 140GB, then all the DC will need to be same as 140GB?
                      Can it be more or less?

Comment

More or less any size you want as long as it has enough room
                        For example, with 400 users and appropriate numbers of groups etc, my main AD is under 200 Mb
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by kynixtanls View Post
                          Hi Ossian,

Thanks for reply.
                          The disk size for C:\ is 65GB.
                          D:\ will be add additional HDD for 160GB.

Just want to clarify, is DC between DC disk size which store (AD DB, LOG, Sysvol) need to be same?
                          Example Root DC disk size is 140GB, then all the DC will need to be same as 140GB?
                          Can it be more or less?
                          The DCs replicate via shares, so AD doesn't care what the HDD size is. They are blind to the fact anyway. They know the name of other DCs via SRV records and know the share name. They use the servername and sharename for locating that, so again, won't know or care where the share is located.

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks again.
                            Now I get the point.
                            Really learn lots from you guys.

Comment

Glad to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X