Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change LDAP port on Windows 2003 Active Directory

Hi

Currently I have Installed Windows 2003 R2 and Configured as Active Directory Server.

My current LDAP port is 389 (Default)

I want to change the LDAP port to some non default port say (1551)

Please help !!!

Re: How to change LDAP port on Windows 2003 Active Directory

Why?
    In general, if you mess around with AD's standard settings, things WILL break

If you set out your reasons for needing to change the port, maybe a workaround will be possible
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian.

Thanks for the replay

I have configured Identity Management for UNIX (IDMU) server on windows 2003 AD it works fine on 389 port.

My LINUX users are getting authenticated using port 389.

But my requirement is to use different port for authentication.

And i am not windows expert so i need help to change the port.

Also is there any other way to get the IDMU authentication working without changing the LDAP port of AD.

Thanks...

Comment

so you have Identity Manager for Unix listening on port 389, and your unix users can authenticate

but now your active directory windows users cannot authenticate ?

I would say it's much smarter to have your IDMU listening on an alternate port, OR, i would look at just integrating your linux/unix boxes into active directory.. it can be done.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi Techcamel,

My Windows and LINUX both the users are getting authenticated using the Active Directory Server (IDMU) but my client (LINUX) is having specific requirement to communicate on non default port.

I can not use default port 389.

Thatís the reason I need to change the LDAP port on AD.

Comment

Hi,

Have you seen the whitepaper yet: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...hitepaper.mspx
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

LDAP is always using either 389 or 636 (LDAP over SSL)
              I'd believe you can't change it either on Linux, but I've to say I'm not a Linux guru

That's is the usual way how to communicate with LDAP.
              I don't think it can be changed.
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands
              http://www.phetios.com
              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by apathare View Post
                Hi Techcamel,

My Windows and LINUX both the users are getting authenticated using the Active Directory Server (IDMU) but my client (LINUX) is having specific requirement to communicate on non default port.

I can not use default port 389.

Thatís the reason I need to change the LDAP port on AD.
                if you have a specific requirement and reason - ie, an application or client, then I would suggest speaking to the company, manager, software provider or service provider, that has that requirement, and ask them to provide you with information or advice on how it's been handled before now.

if it's common - they'd know how to do it. if it's not common,and you don't have a REALLY good reason.. (not just 'specific requirement') then i'd say you aren't ging to get real far.
                the basic feedback from the guys here so far is, you cannotdo it.. that's just how it works and where it works, you can't rebind it.. and if you did, you'd have to rebind EVERYTHING.

not only do you need to make ldap listen on a different port, you'd then need to find a way to configure every single device that needs to use that different port.
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

If the DC is also a Global catalog you could try ports 3268 and 3269 for LDAP and LDAPS queries respectively.
                  I think it may be possible to use a non standard port for LDAP but I haven't seen it in action and I wouldn't recommend it.
                  Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                  X