Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to connect 2 primary domains on same physical network and subnet

Hello All,

corrently we r working on workgroup name acs1 and edp1. Now I want to convery my network from workgroup to domain network. I configure the domains and I am trying to connect 2 primary domains Name acs1.com ans edp1.com.
    Both domains can able to ping workstations but unable to ping each other.

Now pls help me to disolve this problem.
    Thanks in advance

Re: How to connect 2 primary domains on same physical network and subnet

Why do you need two domains?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Right Now i hv 2 workgroup..............so I create 2 domains to shift that workgroups. My main interest is user should get data from both servers and thats the reason I want to connect the 2 domain.

If u hv any simple soln to solve my problem then pls tell me.

Thanks

Comment

But the question remains -- why do you need two domains and not one?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

simple solution: use one domain. you only need one.. (of course, this answer varies, but based on what you're saying, you only need one)

what you need to do is create one domain, put all the computers and servers in that one domain, then create user accounts in the single domain.
          then, all users can access everything from everywhere

(this is, admittedly, a very simplistic answer, but is the basis of it)

if you really, desperately, had a need for multiple domains, i don't know why you'd use a forest rather than just a domain with a subdomain ?

like,

company.com and sales.company.com

rather than company.com and ynapmoc.com
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by gainsoln View Post
            Hello All,

corrently we r working on workgroup name acs1 and edp1. Now I want to convery my network from workgroup to domain network. I configure the domains and I am trying to connect 2 primary domains Name acs1.com ans edp1.com.
            Both domains can able to ping workstations but unable to ping each other.

Now pls help me to disolve this problem.
            Thanks in advance
            It appears that you need isolation. You can use separate OUs and Groups in AD to control the level of permission. You could further restrict users from logging onto computers you don't wish them to access.

If data isolation is required and there is a business reason for strict isolation, you'll need to go for two domains or two separate forests, if staff running each domain/forest are not permitted access to the data etc. from the other domain. e.g. To prevent enterprise administrators from granting themselves access to data and resources they are not permitted to access.

Comment

Thks for the guidence. But still I hv some dought.
              I hv 3 servers + 1 mail server. If I configure only 1 primary domain then how can I connect another 3 servers.

As my servers r midle renge servers so can able to take much load.
              Pls explain me.

Thanks in advance

Comment

How many users do you have?
                What is "mid range" for your server (specs)?
                Why do you think you need multiple domains for "another 3 servers"?

AD will cope with thousands of users in one domain without problems -- if you have multiple domain controllers and servers it can get much larger
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

thanks for the prompt reply.

Tell me can it is possible to convert existing primary domain into a secondary domain.
                  I just expain my existing network................. to get an idea.

I am having 3 servers all r primary domains. I want to conenct all servers so as users can able to access data from all servers. I have total 50 workstations.

I tried to establish trust relation ship but servers r not recognize to each other. 1 forest and 1 primary domain with other servers as chield domain is good soln but for that i hv to convery existing primary servers to secondary servers.
                  Tell me how to comeout from this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

(You can tell I used to be a teacher.... )
                    Please try again with names to make it clear
                    Are all three servers domain controllers and part of one domain?
                    Or are they DCs for three separate domains (if so, are the three domains in the same forest)?

From your response above, I think it is the last option but I am not sure -- if you give us a list of:
                    Domain Names, Server Names and the functional levels it would help greatly.

Also, how much AD experience do you have? If you are a relative newbie, we will give advice at an appropriate level and avoid technical overkill!
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Hello,

1st of all thanks for prompt reply.
                      I just joined new company as a system admin and i want to do chages in existing network. I hv knowledge about AD and domain bot not in depth.

Corrently we r working on workgroup. Now i want to change the network from workgroup to domain base.......ok

Current situation
                      3 - win2K servers connect in workgroup no domain no AD.
                      1 - mail server
                      50 - users

Requirment:
                      1. user should access data from all servers with restricted password.
                      2. User profile like there mail accounts in outlook, software access should remain same.
                      3. As the servers r in working phase I want to migrate the same one. No new installation.

So just give me step by step soln so that I can do it in minimum time span and without effecting the much work.

Thanks in advance

Comment

With that small number of users, you might want to look at SBS as it will give you Exchange for a very low price (btw, what is your mailserver software?)
                        If you dont go there, think about the following general process:

1) Make one server a domain controller in a new domain (run DCPROMO)
                        2) Create domain user accounts for all 50 users
                        3) Join other two servers and clients to the domain
                        4) Create shares and permissions according to your needs
                        5) Teach users about new logon accounts
                        6) Job done!

You will have some disruption but will not have to rebuild servers etc.

But from experience, take time to PLAN what you want to do first and document it, then go in and do it
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Thanks .

I am trying to make full plan before going to do actually. So just clearing all my doughts.

U mean to say, 1 - Win2K server with primary domain and AD, on that Add all workstation and servers in AD................. right.

now the question is : what to do for remaining servers? shall i configure them as a secondary domain with AD or keep them as it is.

What about the user profile? How to fetch there outlook account and desktop as it contains many software shortcuts.

Comment

Start off with one Domain Controller and 2 member servers (do you have any other servers?)
                            Maybe make another server a DC later

There is recent thread about profiles -- will look for a link

Consider getting some consultancy / support on this as it will be a big change -- workgroup to domain.
                            Tom Jones
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

Comment

thanks,

ya, I change one server from workgroup to domain. configure AD and Add some users into it.

Upto this is working fine.

Now I have 2 more servers................ tell me what to do? Shall I add this 2 servers like workstations or configure them as secondary domain/Child domain of primary server.

thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X