Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profile Problems ... SP3?

Afternoon all!

It seems our students are experiencing some strange problems with profiles when logging onto their network accounts and I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the matter ... I've been searching the tinterweb all morning for a reason or solution with not much luck so thought I'd try here - Long time lurker n' all

All servers are running Server 2003 and our workstations (HP with AMD processors) were on XP Pro SP2, but were recently updated to SP3 ... and that is when the problem became apparent.

We updated a small ICT suite to SP3 and soon after had reports that once students logged on, two error boxes would appear one after the other, followed by kicking the user back to the Windows (domain) login screen. The first error message would state:

"Windows cannot copy file \\domainname\SYSVOL\domainname\Shared Profiles\students\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\S563OLE3\filenamethatistoolong! to \Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\S563OLE3\filenamethatistoolong!
    DETAIL - Filename or extension is too long"

What is strange in the first address is that \\domainname\SYSVOL\domainname\Shared Profiles\ is a valid directory, whereas the 'Local Settings' folder does not exist - Where is it trying to copy from?

The second room we updated was perfect on SP2. Now that SP3 has been installed students are finding at random (Between 0-3 students per lesson) that they cannot logon due to:

"domainname\username computername Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that you are connected to the network, or that your network is functioning correctly. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.
    DETAIL - The operation completed successfully."

If they try to logon again (sometimes requiring several attempts) it will load their profile with no errors and no seemingly viewable faults. The fault happens on random machines with random users.

Any ideas? Do you think SP3 could have a big part to play in this? We are considering rolling back to SP2 this Half-Term in an attempt to restore a stable logon for students ... Anyone else seen the same?

Any help is hugely appreciated!

Cheers,

Chris

Re: Profile Problems ... SP3?

I believe there was an issue with SP3 and roaming profiles.
    Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958058

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Re: Profile Problems ... SP3?

As a good practice measure, what you need to do is remove specific folders from all roaming profiles in the first place. This will solve your problem and a lot of other potential future headaches as well.

See the Microsoft article for steps on doing this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814592

Comment

Working...
      X