Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensing and moving from 2k to 2k3

Hello all,

Have lurked for some time, but this is my first post. I have found some great info on the site, and my thanks goes out to you regular members.

I work for an educational institution, and inherited a network with 3 Win2k DCs plus several 2k3 app servers about 15 months ago. This previous summer, I began the transfer to a 2003 domain functional level. Successfully transferred FSMO, DNS, and most roles to new 2003 DCs. Demoted 2 of the old DCs, but ran out of time (students began arriving) before I completed the transition.

So basically, I left the domain at the 2000 functional level all this previous year with three 2003 DCs and the one remaining 2000 DC. The two functions I haven't transferred from that remaining DC are WSUS and license logging. I'm pretty sure I can handle transferring the WSUS role, but I wanted to wait until now (when students are gone again) to finish this, and take care of the licensing in summer time so that I don't mess things up for a few days with a bunch of users trying to access resources and being denied.

Have looked through this board and read a lot about licensing, from "putting labels on meat" to just turning off license logging. I guess what scares me, is that I think my predecesor didn't do everything on the up and up before when using 2000 license logging.... and I want make everything legit, but I'm afraid I'll mess everything up in the process. The reason I don't believe the person before me did everything right, is that when I go into license logging on that 2000 DC, there are a lot of entries, even recently, of CALs being added and subtracted, and the "administrator" listed is the person who was before me, even though that person has been gone some time. It kind of strikes me that the license logging was hacked and tampered with, but maybe I'm seeing it working properly and just don't understand it.

Anyway, I think I have figured out the steps I want to take to transfer. Was hoping some of you could tell me if this sounds good.

1. Purchase appropriate number of CALs, per device, for every computer needing to authenticate. We have about 4x more users than computers, and users come and go, but devices are pretty constant, therefore per device.

2. Begin running license logging service on one of the new DCs. Add purchased CALs to inventory of license logging.

3. Point sites to use new DC for license logging. I haven't seen how to do it on this forum, but I was snooping around, and figured I would go to AD sites and services, and for each site change the Licensing Site Settings. Is there anything else I would need to do, say in group policy?

4. Power down old DC for a period of time, ensure that all still works.

5. dcpromo old DC to remove it as a DC.

6. Raise domain functional level to 2k3

Thanks for any help!

Re: Licensing and moving from 2k to 2k3

What Country are you from by the way.I have had a lot of experience with UK educational places, so will determine how I advise, depending where you are.

Just another point to raise as well, double check that you have the appropriate server licenses as well. Education get Microsoft licences cheap and there are good schemes made available to education that can save you money and entitles you to the latest software as it becomes available.

Comment

Where in the world are you? Microsoft have various licencing options for educational institutes around the world and depending on the agreement in your area, you may not need to purchase CALS.

You could always call MS and ask to talk to someone about educational licence requirements in your area. The monetary savings can be substantial if a special licence between MS and your institute/school district/state/country etc exists.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'm in the U.S. I know we have an Open License for Academic agreement. My only experience though is with ordering Office products- haven't been in this position long. I've looked at pricing for server CALs, and I think they were about $5 each under our agreement, but I haven't looked lately.

Apart from the pricing, did my steps look fine?

Edit: And I might add- my ignorance on the pricing/acedemic agreement is partly because I don't do purchasing- only tell the IT coordinator what I need.
        Last edited by bayoubabsy; 15th May 2009, 21:39.

Comment

The steps look ok to me.

As for the MS products costs, talk to the IT co-ordinator and get a list of the prices as it helps you plan for the future. You may be able to do more than you think you can with the hardware you have.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by bayoubabsy View Post

4. Power down old DC for a period of time, ensure that all still works.

5. dcpromo old DC to remove it as a DC.

Thanks for any help!
            these two steps look like the wrong order to me..
            if you power it down, AD will start crying that it's DC isn;t there, and replication problems and so forth.

unless I;m wrong ?
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

So you would DCPROMO it down before checking that everything worked? If the new Server has the appropriate ROLES, GC, DNS pointing to itself and DHCP settings changed to reflect the new Server, then the order is ok.

A small cry is much better than a loud scream if some part fails.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I agree with biggles77. I always power off a server before doing anything drastic with it, should I be removing services from it.

You'll get errors in event viewer bit I have mever had any issues when powering the server back up.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies! Will update as this unfolds.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                    So you would DCPROMO it down before checking that everything worked? If the new Server has the appropriate ROLES, GC, DNS pointing to itself and DHCP settings changed to reflect the new Server, then the order is ok.

A small cry is much better than a loud scream if some part fails.
                    probably a very valid point
                    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                    X