Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Print Server: Replacing a printer

Hi,
    We are replacing a printer that is shared out through our Windows 2003 Print Server. This printer will have the same IP Address. Is there an easy way to just change the driver on the server and have that populate down to the users? I would rather not have to go to over 100 users to disconnect the old printer and reconnect the new one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Print Server: Replacing a printer

I've never tried it before but there is the option to change the driver via the advanced tab of the Printer's properties or somehwere else. There should then be a wizard to install a new driver.

I would test it on another machine first of all. Map to the existing printer and install in the way you would on the server (so using the TCP-IP option) and then try changing the driver to the new one.

Comment

You could always use a script to remove the old printer and install the new one if Virtual's idea doesn't work.

Comment

In fact, scripting the reinstallation of the client's printers is probably the best way to go. If you go with my suggestion, the old name will remain, so unless you have renamed it to something other than the print devices name, it may lead to confusion.

Comment

Just change the driver on the Advanced tab of the printer properties as Virtual suggested. Windows doesn't know anything about the physical print device, it only knows about the printer based on the driver. The printer properties pages will be updated to reflect the capabilities of the driver you select and the clients will download the new driver automatically when they print to the printer. there's no need to rename the printer on the server or script anything on the client.

Comment

Working...
          X