mandatory profiles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mandatory profiles

how can I create mandatory profiles for 2000 individual users. Usually I would have to setup a model profile on a workstation but how would I go about doing it for bulk users?

thanks.
    knowledge is power

Re: mandatory profiles

techie211,

What I have done in the past is the following:

Create a share on a file server granting access to those users who will be configured with a mandatory profile

Create a local template account on an XP workstation

Log back on as an administrator and launch system properties from Control Panel

Select the "Advanced" tab and click "Settings" under "User Profiles"

Highlight the template profile you created and click "Copy To"

Enter the path that you created on the file server and set "Permitted to use" to authenticated users".

After the profile has been copied, in the file share locate the ntuser.dat and rename it to ntuser.man

At this point your profile has been created, copied to the file share and set to be mandatory. To configure your user accounts do the following:

Launch ADUC (Active Directory Users and Computers)

Browse to the OU containing your user accounts that need to be modified

Highlight the given accounts and select properties

Select the "Profile" tab and under the "User Profile" section enter the path to the share containing the profile (ex: \\fileserver\ManProfile) in the "Profile Path" dialog box

From there you should be set.

-Jason
    MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

thanks for your reply. you mentioned "create a local template account on an XP workstation". Our students logon to different workstations that run XP & 2000 that are setup differently. Would I have to create a mandatory profile for each different machine?
      knowledge is power

Comment

I did a little more reading and I think I have to create only one account and use that account to logon to the different workstations, configure it the way I want and then assign that account to all user's profile path?
        knowledge is power

Comment

VWA4 is the best way for you but you are right with what your saying.

Your way will take more time and won't be centrally controlled. You tend to do it your proposed way when creating an image to be rolled out to multiple machines. You then copy to the 'Default User' profile. To reveal that folder, you need to 'show all hidden fles and folders or you can just type in this location.

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User

It's the same procedure that VWA4 shows but you 'copy to' the above location rather than the file share.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
            VWA4 is the best way for you but you are right with what your saying.

Your way will take more time and won't be centrally controlled. You tend to do it your proposed way when creating an image to be rolled out to multiple machines. You then copy to the 'Default User' profile. To reveal that folder, you need to 'show all hidden fles and folders or you can just type in this location.

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User

It's the same procedure that VWA4 shows but you 'copy to' the above location rather than the file share.
            Virtual,

If done this way it would not set the profile as mandatory, it would just set the default settings a user would get when logging onto the PC. They then could make changes and customize it as needed. Or maybe I am just missing something...
            MCSA/MCSE 2K3,MCITP:ESA,MCTS x 4,VCP x 2

Comment

Originally posted by VWA4 View Post
              Virtual,

If done this way it would not set the profile as mandatory, it would just set the default settings a user would get when logging onto the PC. They then could make changes and customize it as needed. Or maybe I am just missing something...
              Is it still not mandaory in the same sense? Instead of pulling the profile from the file share, it will pull it form the default user instead, which would have been set to ntuser.man, the way you mentioned. I've never tried that way before locally. Perhaps it doesn't work.

I agree with you though. Your option is the best way to go.

Edit: Also, this method will only work if a user has not logged on before, another reason not to opt for the post 4 option.

Comment

Working...
              X