Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question Re: DNS and subnetting in 2k3 env.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question Re: DNS and subnetting in 2k3 env.

If I create two forests with one domain in each forest, can both domains share the same subnet with different DNS suffixes?

Thanks!

Re: Question Re: DNS and subnetting in 2k3 env.

yes
    There is no relationship between subnet and DNS

DHCP, of course, could be interesting....
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What do you recommend?

Comment

Why do you need two forests (or even two domains)?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I work for a company that has no test envrionment and can have zero down-time. The guy before me implemented roaming profiles on Domain A at the domain-level default GPO. If I were to remove it, all of the system accounts (business critical ones that run necessary services, etc.) would need to be logged off, and it could cause significant data loss and disruption of business as usual to edit the default GPO at the domain-level.

So I decided in an effort to mitigate risk and reduce points of failure we should create a new forest and a new domain (or Domain B) for "users" and apply the old "if it's not broke don't fix it" addage with regard to Domain A.

Comment

I would VLAN a switch and use that.

Comment

Originally posted by hcaulfield View Post
              I work for a company that has no test envrionment and can have zero down-time. The guy before me implemented roaming profiles on Domain A at the domain-level default GPO. If I were to remove it, all of the system accounts (business critical ones that run necessary services, etc.) would need to be logged off, and it could cause significant data loss and disruption of business as usual to edit the default GPO at the domain-level.

So I decided in an effort to mitigate risk and reduce points of failure we should create a new forest and a new domain (or Domain B) for "users" and apply the old "if it's not broke don't fix it" addage with regard to Domain A.
              just create a GPo that has the sole purpose of setting up roaming profiles and apply it to the appropriate OU or user group, then remove the setting from the default policy.
              shouldn't need to log the accounts off and on - just wait till they go through their normal maintenance reboot, and the new policy will be applied then
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
              X