No announcement yet.

unable to add a computer to replica set

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unable to add a computer to replica set

I am also having the same issue that you have posted and was having a difficult time finding an answer myself. I was wondering if anyone has any input on this issue...

My problem was caused by an issue with the replication. Initially we had setup the replication and it was working fine--then we encountered an issue where our data slowly started dumping so we killed the connections. I'm now trying to re-setup the connections and with the server that i'm trying to replicate data to I also get the same "Not Eligible" error. This is what error I get in the Event log.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: NtFrs
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 13552
    Date: 5/11/2009
    Time: 8:59:25 PM
    User: N/A
    The File Replication Service is unable to add this computer to the following replica set:

This could be caused by a number of problems such as:
    -- an invalid root path,
    -- a missing directory,
    -- a missing disk volume,
    -- a file system on the volume that does not support NTFS 5.0

The information below may help to resolve the problem:
    Computer DNS name is ""
    Replica set member name is "{603B3F20-BDAC-4E2C-8A63-C054A5F630CE}"
    Replica set root path is "c:\advlog"
    Replica staging directory path is "c:\frs-staging"
    Replica working directory path is "c:\windows\ntfrs\jet"
    Windows error status code is ERROR_BAD_COMMAND
    FRS error status code is FrsErrorResourceInUse

Other event log messages may also help determine the problem. Correct the problem and the service will attempt to restart replication automatically at a later time.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

Re: unable to add a computer to replica set

I think ur are getting that error due to the recreation on the replication. did u delete the recreate the folders from the server on the same location? or different?

for replication all the folder has to be with the same name and same location like d: DFS/Data

Check ur site topology too, install AD replication monitor and check the status.

My server is saying "Not Eligible" too but I am getting bit different error I have checked all three below options

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: NtFrs
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 13508
    Date: 12/05/2009
    Time: 1:53:31 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: server09
    The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from server01 to server09 for d:\dfs using the DNS name FRS will keep retrying.
    Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.

[1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name from this computer.
    [2] FRS is not running on .
    [3] The topology information in the Active Directory for this replica has not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.

This event log message will appear once per connection, After the problem is fixed you will see another event log message indicating that the connection has been established.
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    0000: 0d 00 00 00 ....