Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network connection priority and Group Policy

Hello,

I am wondering if there is a way to set network connection priority in Group Policy? Currently wireless connections take precedence over wired connections and I want to reverse this and not have to go to every machine individually and fix this.

Re: Network connection priority and Group Policy

Have you got Automatic metric enabled in your tcp/ip settings? and what is your wired speed and what wireless standards are you using?
    If certain conditions are met based on the answers above, Automatic metric should sort out the order theoretically by giving the highest link speed priority.
    However, if you want to set your own metrics, this link might give you some ideas: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894564
    Not sure if the metric can be changed via GPO though, apart from adding the registry key mentioned on the KB maybe or otherwise scripted?
    Last edited by L4ndy; 11th May 2009, 15:17.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Hi L4ndy,

1. - Yes, Automatic metric is set.

2. - wired is a gigabit ethernet card and we're running a DS-3 and wireless is 802.11a

If Group policy isn't an option, maybe pushing out a registry change would work?

Comment

Hi Nuzzy,

Sorry I was editing my post to add more info as well as the link there.

Based on what you are saying though, the wired connection should have priority over the wireless one.
        The metric on the first should be 10 and on the second 20 or more depending on the wireless clients sharing the bandwidth!
        Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

That's what I thought. I guess maybe what I'm looking for is different. I'd like to change the binding order as wireless binds first. It looks like the only way is per computer.

Comment

The metric takes priority over the binding order so, it would be pointless to change the bindings unless for any other reasons.
            If metrics is set to automatic then you shouldn't need to do anything else to prioritise network connections as they are done automatically for you.
            However if for any reason you wanted to change the metric on the "local area connections" then this script from the previous link, I edited (Might not have done a good job at that but it works) and tested should do the trick:

Code:
            On Error Resume Next

strComputer = "."
            Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
            & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

regValueDataMetric = "100"

Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
            ("Select * From Win32_NetworkAdapter Where NetConnectionID = 'Local Area Connection'")

For Each objItem in colItems
            strMACAddress = objItem.MACAddress
            Next

Set colNetCard = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
            ("Select * From Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration where IPEnabled=TRUE")

For Each objNetCard in colNetCard
            If objNetCard.MACAddress = strMACAddress Then
            For Each strIPAddress in objNetCard.IPAddress
            objNetCard.SetIPConnectionMetric(regValueDataMetric)
            Next
            End If
            Next
            You can use this as a startup script.
            That way wireless connections will have priority.

Hope that helps
            Last edited by L4ndy; 12th May 2009, 10:33.
            Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks for your help L4ndy!

Comment

Working...
              X