p2v and renaming original machine ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• p2v and renaming original machine ?

One of my upcoming tasks is to finalise a P2V conversion. We have converted a physical machine to a virtual successfully, and it's running in the live environment. THe existing physical machine was then powered off.

I'm due to go out on site to perform some work that is side-line to this, however I've been asked to rename the physical machine and remove it from te domain, but also to Air-gap it before it's powered on, for the obvious reasons.
    It wasn't removed from the domain prior to virtualisation.. which now that I think about it, is probably something I should amend in my procedures for future reference..

So my basic line of thinking is as follows:
    * air-gap it.
    * boot it up.
    * run NeWSID
    * reboot it
    * rename
    * reboot
    * remove airgap
    * join domain

This should have the affect of changing the ID of the computer, to prevent conflicts with the virtual machine. changing the actual name.. rejoining the domain, and rejoining the network.

Is there any problems with my process ? Will it do what i'm expecting ?

obviously removing the physical machine from the domain while the virtual is off would cause conflicts, as the virtual thinks it is the physical... etc. so this way seems to be the best way forward from my mind so far ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: p2v and renaming original machine ?

What is air-gap???

If it were me i'd boot it disconnected from the network, remove it from the domain, rename it, reboot it then re-add to the domain.

Done it many times with no problems.

Comment

air-gap - a gap of air between the machine and the network..
      basically - unplugging the cable, or physically disconnecting it..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        air-gap - a gap of air between the machine and the network..
        basically - unplugging the cable, or physically disconnecting it..
        Ahh right i get you lol.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
          unplugging the cable, or physically disconnecting it..
          Just thinking how you could have one without the other, then realised a sharp knife would probably manage it
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Does a P2V change the SID etc? Don't you need to wipe/reload or am I barking down/up the wrong tree?
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Here's what I would do:

1. Air-gap it
              2. Boot it up and log on locally
              3. Rename it and put it in workgroup mode
              4. Reverse the air-gap () and reboot it
              5. Join the domain

By renaming it you don't have to run NewSid as renaming it will do the same thing. As long as it's disconnected from the network you should be OK. (Even if it was connected to the network it would be OK, you would just have to log on locally and you'd probably get a duplicate name error but neither of these will cause problems for the machine or the domain).

Comment

Working...
              X