DNS Root Hints

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Root Hints

Hi, I would like to know if I have my DNS setup properly. I tried Googling and looking on the net but couldn't find anything related to what I was asking. I have about 10 or so root hint DNS servers in my root hints, but I've never set those up or even know whose servers they are. Two are my DC's with integrated DNS on them. Am I supposed to have my own DNS server in this list of root hints? Can I get rid of the others?

TIA

Re: DNS Root Hints

Try reading here

http://www.computerperformance.co.uk...root_hints.htm

Comment

Damn, I'm still not getting it. I'll try and read up on it again to see if I can shed some light as to how I should have DNS setup. I just don't want my network to query other DNS servers looking for a certain domain name or IP address spending valuable time. Thats why I wanted to know if I can delete these other "root" servers from that list or not. I don't want to break whats already working you know?

Comment

If you have a forwarder setup you can delete the root hints.

No forwarder then i'd keep them there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudd View Post
          Damn, I'm still not getting it. I'll try and read up on it again to see if I can shed some light as to how I should have DNS setup. I just don't want my network to query other DNS servers looking for a certain domain name or IP address spending valuable time. Thats why I wanted to know if I can delete these other "root" servers from that list or not. I don't want to break whats already working you know?
          Well at some point your DNS server is going to have to query other DNS servers for domains that it is not authorative for. Your two choices for this are: 1. Using forwarders or 2. Using the root hint servers.

If you choose to use forwarders then you'll need to set them up in the properties of your DNS server. Then when your DNS server gets a DNS query for a domain that it is not authorative for it will forward the query to the forwarder, which will then do the work of resolving the query if it's configured to perform iteration or if it's not it will tell your DNS server where to go next.

If you choose to use the root hint servers, then when your DNS servers gets a DNS query for a domain that it is not authorative for it will query one of the root hint servers (which will not perform iteration) which will tell your DNS server where to go next. IMHO, there's no real workload on a DNS server for it to resolve DNS queries unless you have thousands of queries per second needing to be resolved.

Your server should not be listed in the root hint servers as your server is not one of the root hint servers.

IMHO I prefer to use the root hint servers. I don't like to rely on forwarders as then my DNS queries are dependent on the forwarders being available, working properly, performing iteration, etc., etc.

If the root hint servers aren't working (which is highly unlikely) then nobody in the world is going to have a working DNS anyway so it won't matter that my DNS won't be working at that point (for external DNS queries only).

Comment

If I have two DNS AD integrated servers, would I point them to themselves or to each other?

Comment

Point each server at itself for the preferred DNS server and the other server for the alternate DNS server. Note that this has nothing to do with your earlier posts/questions regarding forwarders and the root hint servers.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                Point each server at itself for the preferred DNS server and the other server for the alternate DNS server. Note that this has nothing to do with your earlier posts/questions regarding forwarders and the root hint servers.
                Yeah I know thanks, there just seesm to be a debate about where or what the servers should be pointing to. Just wanted to ge an opinion on here.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                  IMHO I prefer to use the root hint servers. I don't like to rely on forwarders as then my DNS queries are dependent on the forwarders being available, working properly, performing iteration, etc., etc.
                  Just an FYI to anyone and everyone reading this thread, I typically set up Windows based DNS servers to use OpenDNS's two main server IPs as forwarders but then (in Server 2008, anyway) I leave the "Use root hints if no forwarders are available" checked. I think in 2003 the same setting is titled "Do not use recursion for this domain" (See this thread as a reference for the preceding thought). It's the best of both worlds!
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                  -------------------------------
                  Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                  Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                  Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                  Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
                  X