Cannot reflect client PC in Windows 2003 Server's DNS Snap-in

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot reflect client PC in Windows 2003 Server's DNS Snap-in

My Windows XP client is joined to my Windows 2003 Server domain. It is using the domain for DNS resolution. However, under the DNS Snap-in, it doesn't show my XP Client. Further, my Group Policy Objects are not being reflected in my client. I understand these are seperate issues, just clarifying that the two machines are only loosely communicating. Thanks for all your help.

Re: Cannot reflect client PC in Windows 2003 Server's DNS Snap-in

Has the client registered in DNS???

Is it doing so from DHCP???

Comment

The client has not registered in DNS.

I am not running a DHCP server on my server.

Comment

On the TCP/IP settings of your active NIC in the XP client under Properties - Advanced- DNS tab
        make sure Register this connection's addresses in DNS is selected. and it is configured with your DNS server
        Also in the DNS server make sure Dynamic updates are enabled.
        Restart the Netlogon service in your XP and see if the registration has taken place.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, that did not work. I already had the DNS registered from the client side. I think the problem could be the domain controller, as when I do an nslookup, I get a reply "Can't find server name for address w.x.y.z: Non-existent domain. Default Server: Unknown."

Wondering if I should DCPROMO my server down, and then restart with a new DC.

Comment

The message you're getting when running nslookup indicates that you don't have a reverse lookup zone configured but that is not the cause of your problem as reverse lookup zones aren't required.

Comment

Well, it's up to you. If the impact is minimal then go for a DCPromo but you still haven't figured out what the problem is and what caused it. If you end up in a similar situation in the future are you going to go for a DCpromo again?
              I personally would start with the basics.
              Is it affecting just that machine or others as well?
              Any events logged on both client and server (Especially DNS related events and AD events)?
              Ensure ther's physical connectivity ( Try Pinging the IP of the server from the client)
              Try DCDIAG (dcdiag /test : DNS) on your server.
              Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Then I'm not sure what the cause is. Do you think it is worthwhile to use DCPROMO to take out the DC and then reinstall it?

Comment

"Is it affecting just that machine or others as well?"
                  I only have 1 client logged into the server, so its just the client and the server.

"Any events logged on both client and server (Especially DNS related events and AD events)?"
                  The client is getting Userenv and Autoenrollment errors.

"Ensure ther's physical connectivity ( Try Pinging the IP of the server from the client)"
                  I can ping it just fine, same with the IPConfig. But I cannot do an nslookup.

"Try DCDIAG (dcdiag /test : DNS) on your server."
                  Reply comes Server Unknown. Non-existant domain.

I've been beating myself over the head with this for the past week.

Comment

Have you tried adding a PTR record for the server as Joe suggested?
                    Are there any events logged on the DC?
                    Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

No, my DC's logs are clean.

Haven't tried a PRT as I don't know how to do that. Sorry.

Comment

What DNS server do you have set in your clients DNS settings???

Try running a ipconfig /registerdns on the client and see if that registers.

Comment

I got it figured out! Thanks guys.

Comment

Yep and what was the issue.

Posting back with your fix may help others in the future.

Comment

Working...
                            X