Windows Server 2003 joining a current domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2003 joining a current domain

I currently have a server 2003 set up as the AD, print server, AV, backup....

With the purchase of a new server purchase it came with Server 2003 as well.

I've virtualized the physical server and would like to run both servers on the machine and split the job responsibilities.

Orion being one of the servers is the AD and file server.
    Escher will be the AV, Backup, and Printer server.

But I can't get Escher to join the domain for some reason. I've gone onto Orion and tried to add the computer and go back to Escher and join but that doesn't work.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Re: Windows Server 2003 joining a current domain

I'm not 100% clear on a few things:

Originally posted by Jeff Cornick View Post
    I've virtualized the physical server and would like to run both servers on the machine and split the job responsibilities.
    You say you've virtualized the physical server, but then use the verb "would" with the fourth definition sense of "desire" or "wish" as in: "I've virtualized the physical server and wish to run both servers on the machine and split the job responsibilities (implying that it hasn't been done yet)". So is that old server virtualized and running properly in the virtual environment or are you only wishing that it was running, but it has yet to be implemented. Sorry, my mind splits words like that to the point that I have to resolve the ambiguity. My mother has done technical editing... that might have something to do with it.

Orion being one of the servers is the AD and file server.
    Escher will be the AV, Backup, and Printer server.
    Based on the wording, I think Orion is the former physical server that is now the virtualized domain controller. Is that true? It helps to know exactly which server is the host and which is the guest.

Furthermore, which virtualization environment are you using? VMWare Server, Microsoft Virtual Server, Hyper-V on Server 2008, ESXi, etc. and etc.. Also, are there any specific error dialog boxes that come up when you try to join Escher to the domain? What errors on Escher are logged in the event log? Any errors logged on Orion? Can any other computer join the domain just fine? Maybe spin up a simple XP virtual machine and test it out to make sure all the DNS settings are fine (SRV records and the like), all LDAP ports are open and responding and all the other etcetera and miscellany that a DC has running is doing good.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I apologize for lack of information....it was one of things where it made sense in my head...but not on paper. What, you're not in my head?!

I have an old server, I don't remember the model number but we'll call it a PE4400 named on Orion with Windows Server 2003 on it.

We ordered a new server, PE 2900 III, that we are naming Davinci.

I've taken Davinci and loaded ESXi on it. I have then created two virtual machines with Server 2003, Orion and Escher.

Orion was the only server and did everything, I'd like to split some of the responsibilities off onto Escher since we got the license for it and have as a backup.

I can't get Escher onto the domain though, it gives me an error message and for the life of me I can't remember what it was (currently not at the office).

Escher can ping Orion and can see the shares on Orion...just can't join the domain.

I have not tested another machine to see if it can join the domain.

Does that help?

Comment

I apologize for lack of information....it was one of things where it made sense in my head...but not on paper. What, you're not in my head?!
        Does that help?
        It helps immensely, yes. However, since Iím not a virtualization expert nor am I the most knowledgable person about AD on these boards, I may not be much of a help. I just set up the alley-oop. Someone else will have to swoop in and make the dunk.

I've taken Davinci and loaded ESXi on it. I have then created two virtual machines with Server 2003, Orion and Escher.
        How did you P to V Orion?

I can't get Escher onto the domain though, it gives me an error message and for the life of me I can't remember what it was (currently not at the office). (Ö) I have not tested another machine to see if it can join the domain.
        Knowing the exact error message and if other machines can join the domain would be a big help. I think I'll refrain from conjecture until we know the error and ability of other machines to join the domain. I could just make things worse.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
        X