No announcement yet.

Home Folders - Administrator getting Admin rights - why?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Folders - Administrator getting Admin rights - why?

Hi there, first post and I have had a good search and can't find an answer to this issue elsewhere. If there is already an answer somewhere accept my apologies and point me in the right direction.....

My set up...
    • Windows 2003 R2 (SP2) Domain
    • Windows 2003 R2 File Server (File-01-01)

When I create a folder in the users folder using ADUC Profile tab (\\file-01-01\users\%username%), the folder is created and the designated user is assigned full control, but the server administrators group also gets assigned Full Control of the folder. Looking at the security tab it implies this is not inheritted from above which means it must be set when AD creates the folder.

If I create a folder manually in this group it correctly inherits the permissions (as follows) and the administrator doesn't get full control.
    • I have created a folder on the file server called users,
    • shared it with authenticated users having full control.
    • Permissions are
      • System - Full Control
      • Creator Owner - Full Control
      • Administrator - List/read & create folders/ append data - this folder only
    • Inheritance from above has been turned off.
    I am an experienced Windows engineer and cannot for the life of me spot where I am going wrong and being the only Windows guy on the team haven't got a second pair of eyes to pick out anything obvious I am doing wrong.

All help and feedback is appreciated, more details can be provided if needed.