Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exchange 2007 + DC (all FSMO role) not responding to PING after >2 hrs off ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2007 + DC (all FSMO role) not responding to PING after >2 hrs off ?

Hi All,

Can anyone explains this situation ?
    I've got two Window server 2003 namely
    Server A - 1st DNS + GC
    Server B - 2nd DNS + Exchange Server 2007 + GC + FSMO Role (All 5)

all w/o firewall protection.

when i perform hardware migration or an upgrade for Server B (off more than 2 hours) it cannot be PINGed from my network ?

but strangely in Server B itself, i can ping all of my network and browse the internet.
    the solution was to reboot Server B again and then it suddenly responding to PING and everything else ?

any idea or comments please ?

Thanks
    ________
    buy glass pipes
    Last edited by Albertwt; 21st January 2011, 11:19.

Re: Exchange 2007 + DC (all FSMO role) not responding to PING after >2 hrs off ?

Are both servers single homed?
    I can't remember but I thought the firewall service had to be running to perform an Exchange 2007 patch?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Re: Exchange 2007 + DC (all FSMO role) not responding to PING after >2 hrs off ?

Yes you're right, each of the server only has one NIC active and no firewall is running on both servers.

this is very2 strange beyond explanation, i don't even bother to perform dcdiag and netdiag during server B isolation

but after the restart Server B is contactable again.

Comment

Still though it sounds like a firewall issue.
        You might run a trace on server B to see if the packets is coming in.
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

this is very strange though.

During the first boot from hardware migration / cold backup, Server B is uncontactable from anywhere but Server B itself can ping any other server and browse the internet.

from Server A and my laptop, the ping to ServerB IP address resolved but no reply.

anyway, the solution was to restart Server B while hoping so much that it would be OK after the restart or else... ( I don't have any clue ).

Thanks for the reply guys.

Comment

Hmm you could ping others and you could use the internet.
            Well then packets where coming in. Was other traffic (except ICMP) possible to that server?
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

that's why i performed PING test as my Outlook is disconnected at that time

but the funy thing is that i try it on my test Server to re-deploy the image and statically address a laptop to communicate to Server B, the result is the same ?

i was wondering if this server B could talk to a laptop with just a straight cable point to point connected.

Comment

to all,

after learning about the fundamentals of AD server interaction with DNS server, i can now conclude the following quote:

"Sounds like it could be a DNS problem. I wonder if my original A record got scavanged by the DNS server (Server A), then the server comes back up registers with itself (hence it can ping out, etc) but this hasn't replicated to ServerA and ServerA is where all of users are pointing for DNS. After troubleshooting reboot, which triggers an immediate replication of AD (and DNS) and now it's working since ServerA now has the updated DNS record?"

hope this could be useful for everyone.

Comment

With DNS:
                  DNS isn't used in the first place. With ping you usually use the Ipadress of the box.
                  However if you use ping <servername> then it will first start broadcasting for the server.

But, if you use ping Servername.FQDN then it will use DNS.
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands

Comment

Re: Exchange 2007 + DC (all FSMO role) not responding to PING after &gt;2 hrs off ?

Alright, things getting more complex here
                    but thanks anyway for the input.

Next time the server restart or offline, all i need to do is make sure that Server A (1st DNS) is up first and then restart it again (Server B).

(-_-)" what a weird experience.

Comment

Re: Exchange 2007 + DC (all FSMO role) not responding to PING after &gt;2 hrs off ?

Can you try setting your NIC and switch to 100full or gigabit rather than auto?
                      cheers
                      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
                      X