Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quotas and owner attribute

Hi All,

When setting quotas up in windows 2003 it uses the owner attribute to calculate how much disk space the user is using. When a user receives a file from another user and stores it in his personal drive the space used goes against the creator owner not the person actually storing the document. Anyone know how to replace the owner attribute of a file when they move / copy it to their home drive?

This seems like a very simple solution but can't find anything about it and this is the first time I've really had the chance to implement quotas.

Thanks

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Quotas and owner attribute

Anyone?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

That's really tough...
      I'm sure you could script it to run every night to change the owner, but that's just a patch.
      http://support.microsoft.com/?id=825751

I'm not sure if there is a better solution....

Comment

Thanks Bobloblaw101

I thought about that but that cannot be the way to use quotas. it just to me that quotas is not a completed solution.

Michael
        Michael Armstrong
        www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Hi,

Yeah, this is quite a pain to tackle. I looked into scripting this and didn't get far (mind you I am not good at scripting so its not a surprise)
          The problem has been addressed in R2 and later though through FSRM quotas which can be set by folder or volume as opposed to by user (plus e-mail notification to make the solution sweeter)
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

FSRM Looks exactly what I need.

Thanks very much

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X