Forward Lookup Zone vs Domain in an existing zone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forward Lookup Zone vs Domain in an existing zone

Someone threw that question at me and I shockingly I have no idea.

Imagine you have a forward zone called domain.com

Now you want that the same DNS server resolves also records for wibble.com

I assumed you can simply create a new forward lookup zone.

Now he asks me why he couldn't just create a "Domain Record" inside of the domain.com forward zone.

To be honest, I haven't even seen that option before and I cannot find any information in books or online, what you use that record for. Not even in the DNS part of several MCTS / MCP books.

Could someone enlighten me

Re: Forward Lookup Zone vs Domain in an existing zone

I'm not sure what you mean by "Domain Record" as I've never heard of that. Could he possibly mean an A record for the domain? IMHO, a domain A record is kind of like a catch-all for unspecified lookups pertaining to WWW and MX. For instance, if I type www.somecompany.com in my web browser and there is no A or CNAME record for www in the somecompany.com DNS zone but there is an A record for the somecompany.com domain then my browser will go to whatever ip address that A record points to. Similarly if my email server looks up the MX record for somecompany.com and doesn't find one but does find an A record for the somecompany.com domain (as described above) then my email server will attempt to send the email to the ip address that the domain A record points to.

Comment

Well when you create an A record named wibble.com, it creates automatically a domain record.

And I haven't seen it before myself either, that is why I am so confused.

Right click inside the forward zone :

Comment

I've tried it and I see what you're saying but it's not creating a "domain record" as there's no such thing. It's creating a new domain (dns zone). In the case of your example it creates a domain (dns zone) named com and an A record called wibble in the new domain (dns zone). So the FQDN for the host wibble is wibble.com.parentdnszonename.

Comment

So adding a "Domain Record" would just add a subdomain ..

So taking the Forward Lookup Zone

Domain.com

Adding a "Domain Record" of wibble.com would actually create

wibble.com.domain.com

??

Wait .. for subdomain I would actually just add an A-Record .. now I am confused ..

Edit2: Ah wait a second, it creates a CHILD DOMAIN , not SUB DOMAIN ....
          Last edited by Gomjaba; 28th April 2009, 19:05.

Comment

Yep. I attempted to create a new A record called "temp.com" in my parent dns zone and it actually created a new child zone called com with an A record of temp in it.

Comment

Right, now it makes sense.. Thanks ..

It is not easy to google for stuff like that .. especially when the word "Domain" is used

Comment

Glad to help.

Comment

Working...
                X