Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deploying Office 2003 through RIS

Dear All,

We have configured WDS for installing XP and deploying office 2003 through RIS.

We have sucessfully configured WDS Server for unattended deployment of XP and it is tested & running successfully.

Can any one provide the steps how to configure RIS to deploy office 2003 post XP installation in the client macines through RIS.

Please note that none of the client machice are part of domain. The unattended answer script is made in such a way that post installation all XP machine become a part of workgroup 'WORKGROUP'.

Thank you in advance.

Re: Deploying Office 2003 through RIS

You've lost me there. WDS supercedes RIS, so if you have WDS how/why are you still using RIS as well?

Anyway, assuming you are using WDS the simplest way to do this is to install XP on a machine, add Office 2003, patch them up to date and then create a new capture image in WDS to deploy both in one go rather than doing it in 2 passes. If you have a requirement for XP machines without Office then just keep the existing WDS image as well.

Technet WDS Reference.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
      You've lost me there. WDS supercedes RIS, so if you have WDS how/why are you still using RIS as well?

Anyway, assuming you are using WDS the simplest way to do this is to install XP on a machine, add Office 2003, patch them up to date and then create a new capture image in WDS to deploy both in one go rather than doing it in 2 passes. If you have a requirement for XP machines without Office then just keep the existing WDS image as well.

Technet WDS Reference.

Are you talking about RIPREP ?? If that is so, in that case the main problem is not all client machines have same HW configuration. So far I know RIPREP image is for same HW machines.

Thanks

Comment

Capture images in WDS use sysprep to prepare them, not RIPREP. You can create images for different hardware in XP, so long as the target systems use the same HAL. From the technet guide:-

Creating custom install images
        Optionally, you can create custom install images for Windows Vista as well as older operating systems like Windows XP. To do this, use the instructions in this section to create a capture image, prepare a reference computer using Sysprep, and then capture the operating system using the Image Capture Wizard. Note that images that are older than Windows Vista are hardware abstraction layer (HAL) specific so you cannot deploy an image of one HAL-type to a computer with a different HAL. However, Windows Vista images are not HAL specific so you only need one image for each architecture.
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Wouldn't it be easier doing it via GPO???

Anyway i thought that when you used WDS you had an image with all apps done. We do.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
            Wouldn't it be easier doing it via GPO???

Anyway i thought that when you used WDS you had an image with all apps done. We do.
            Thanks for the reply.

I know using GPO is easier to configure. But as I mentioned the main problem is all the XP machines are workgrouped and not the part of a domain. Domains GPO can not be implemented on workgrouped machine.

And I don't know for what reason my manager does not want to keep the XP machines under a AD directory domain.

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
            Capture images in WDS use sysprep to prepare them, not RIPREP. You can create images for different hardware in XP, so long as the target systems use the same HAL. From the technet guide:-
            Yes I know to prepare an image to capture we have to use sysprep with reseal option and to capture it in WDS we have to use riprep.

To create multiple XP preconfigured image for different HAL takes lots of time and disk space.

Any how I am trying some other way.

If I become successful then I will let you know.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by apratimguha View Post
              Thanks for the reply.
              Yes I know to prepare an image to capture we have to use sysprep with reseal option and to capture it in WDS we have to use riprep.

To create multiple XP preconfigured image for different HAL takes lots of time and disk space.

Any how I am trying some other way.

If I become successful then I will let you know.

thanks
              You are correct time wise, image capturing is a slow process. However only sysprep is required with WDS as per the Technet link I provided above. It depends really how many differents HALs you still have, the vast majority of PCs will be either ACPI PC or ACPI Multiprocessor PC.
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
              X