Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File Permissions

Hello,

i have a server with win2k3 and i have it set up a file server.

I created a folder and i want user to be able to write to the directory and view the directory contents, but i don't want them to able to open, read or delete any of the folder content. No how may different ways i tried to change the permissions it does not work, any thoughts

thanks
    shg2001

Re: File Permissions

If it is using NTFS permissions, I don't know of any way to do this, because as far as I know the List Directory Contents permission also includes the Read and Execute permissions along with it. If you tried to use special permissions you'd need to add Deny entries for Read Permissions and Traverse Folder/Execute File, but then they can't move through the folder hierarchy and that defeats the purpose of having this. I'm not even sure if those Deny permissions would work, because they still would have to have List Directory Contents for that folder or they can't see anything.
    Don't fool yourself. If you truly feel passionate about something, you will do whatever it takes. If you don't, you'd better get busy pursuing happiness, because it's all you've got.

Comment

Have you tried going to the advanced Properties of the NTFS permissions? You can then deny specific granular permissions for the required user or group.

Go to the Security tab. Click on Advanced. Highlight the user or group you want to edit the permissions of. Click Edit. You can then try denying the permissions you mentioned.

Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Be careful with the Deny Permission since it over rides others. Along Virtual's line, just don't disable the granular permission you don't want them to have. Gee I hope that make sense.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by shg2001 View Post
          Hello,

i have a server with win2k3 and i have it set up a file server.

I created a folder and i want user to be able to write to the directory and view the directory contents, but i don't want them to able to open, read or delete any of the folder content. No how may different ways i tried to change the permissions it does not work, any thoughts

thanks
          shg2001
          Hi,

With what i can understand of your requirements, you should be able to do that with only one Limitation which I am going to mention in the end.

Share permissions - Change

Security permission - Go to the Advanced page and make sure that only the following permissions are selected for the user (Group) in question:
          Allow - List folder/Read data
          Allow - Create Files /Write data and
          Allow - Create folders/Append data (Presumming you want the users to be able to do that)
          The Limitation I mentioned earlier is that whenever a new file or folder is created it will take the default name as the user won't be able to Rename.
          The rename process needs the Allow - Delete permission and since you don't want them to have that they won't be able to rename either.
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
          X