Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 2003 DNS

Hello,

I need some help related to DNS and if someone could point to the right direction I would really appreciate it.

I am trying to host my webiste on my home computer instead of buying some space with some hosting company. My main reason for doing all this is so I can learn and better understand things.

The Setup.

I have dsl with static IP (only one IP)
    Windows 2003 server
    Linksys wireless router.

I want to setup the server so that I have my own name server and the same time I can host my site on this server.

Lets say I registered abc.com with godaddy.com. How do I setup the DNS on my home server so if someone types www.abc.com they should be able to see abc.com? Plus what do I need to use for NS1 and NS2 on my godaddy account?

Thank you.

You must have a static public IP address or you will need something like dyndns.com or no-ip.com.
    Then just create your domain like you want: the name does not really matter. Then Install your IIS, you must know do it right for security reasons. See the microsoft web site.
    External DNS must be configured with your public ip address to redirect to you the requests. Where you go regist the public name? You will have some configuration page to putt your ip.
    MCSE w2k
    MCSA w2k - MCSA w2k MESSAGING
    MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

I use http://www.zoneedit.com/ (it's free as long as you register under 5 domain names) - The website looks crap but they are very good. You need to run a small client on your server which automatically updates your IP address on zoneedits servers

Or - If you have a linksys router you can use the dynamic DNS option but the standard firmware only supports dyndns.com or no-ip.com

Hope this helps

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Windux: I have a static IP but I can't find a link or site where it walks you through on how to setup the DNS so that if someone types www.abc.com it would direct them to my server.

m80arm: Thanks but I am trying to host it on my own server not looking for other options.

Comment

Don't worry about Dynamic DNS you don't need it as you said in your first post you have a Static Public Address.

When you register the domain name abc.com the ISP\Provider usually gives you access to the configuration site where you can setup A records. Note that most of these are not free, the generic WWW usually points to the local space you usually get given for free, if you want to change this you usually need to pay.

topper.
          * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

When you purchase your abc.com can you not specify the Name Server for the domain as the NS (Your DNS server) on your static IP address?

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by m80arm
              When you purchase your abc.com can you not specify the Name Server for the domain as the NS (Your DNS server) on your static IP address?

Michael

When you purchase your Domain Name then you need to configure the ip of your WEBSERVER in the configuration page. If your ip it's not static then you must change that configuration many times, unless you register on dyndns.com or something like that or find programs that will do this for yourself.
              Easy!
              MCSE w2k
              MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Originally posted by windux
                Originally posted by m80arm

Michael

When you purchase your Domain Name then you need to configure the ip of your WEBSERVER in the configuration page. If your ip it's not static then you must change that configuration many times, unless you register on dyndns.com or something like that or find programs that will do this for yourself.
                Easy!
                Suppose he has a windows 2003 srv connected to the static IP address which provides DNS for his network. Can you not specify the domain abc.com to use his DNS server to resolved any abc.com queries. so if he has a webserver, webserver1.abc.com, his DNS server will resolve the IP address for it.

It will create a problem if the DNS server goes down.

Sorry if I am completely wrong - I always use DDNS as I dont have a static IP address.

Michael
                Michael Armstrong
                www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Can people please read the original post properly.

He has a static IP address, DynDNS does NOT enter this equation. Yes he can host his own DNS but who wants the hassle of doing that !!

The NS will more than likely already be setup to that of your ISP who you registered with. The Config site allows access to change\add A reocrds for your domain.

topper.

Comment

I thought that was what he wanted

Originally posted by topper
                    Can people please read the original post properly.

Yes he can host his own DNS but who wants the hassle of doing that.
                    I thought that was what he wanted

Originally posted by Pure
                    How do I setup the DNS on my home server so if someone types www.abc.com they should be able to see abc.com?
                    Apologies

Michael
                    Michael Armstrong
                    www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

Michael no worries, thanks for your contribution. Hosting DNS is an option. Just Windux seemed to get hung up on DynDNS even though he has a static address.

Cheers
                      Topper.

Comment

OK, i shut up my keyboard. Sorry.

I know he have static ip. I only try to say that exist another options.
                        MCSE w2k
                        MCDBA SQL2k

Comment

Working...
                        X