Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Config for web staging server

Everyone,

I am trying to setup a staging server for our web development projects. Thus far I have IIS installed and configured on the staging server but I am trying to get the DNS setup correctly.

This will be a strictly intranet stage. I do not want to go thru registering for (and paying for) a public domain name that we will not use. I found some guides online as to how to setup an intranet site but I am having some trouble.

At this point I have created a new zone in DNS of ourcompany.com. I then created a new Host A record of staging.ourcompany.com that have the IP of the staging box. This part seems to work fine.

The part I am having trouble with is that with this setup we cannot reach our public site. For example if I open my browser and try to go to our live site in of www.ourcompany.com, we get a page cannot be found error. If I google our company, we come up as the first result and yet when I click on the link I get the same error. I have even tried doing a ping from inside the network to our WAN IP and I get the host is unreachable.

If I try and access the site from a computer outside the domain I can reach our production server just fine, which should mean its just a problem within the domain. What I think is happening is that the new zone, ourcompany.com, is trying to resolve the request but its not finding any record for www.ourcompany.com. I have forwarders setup on the DNS server but it doesn't seem to be sending the request to them.

I need a way that we can setup the DNS to resolve staging.ourcompany.com but also allow anyone inside the domain to still hit our production server. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Re: DNS Config for web staging server

it won't send the dns record forward to a forwarder or root hint because it thinks it is authoritative for the zone already.

Add an A Record for www and point it to the right address for your www.ourcompany.com

(I am assuming of course, that it worked inside your environment BEFORE you made the zone_
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

tehcamel --

wow thanks for the fast response...yes everthing worked fine before I setup the zone and it works fine if I delete the zone.

Thanks for the tip I will make the A record and input our WAN IP correct?

Comment

Yep.. we have something similar set up.

ps - please don't tell me boss I answer your questions on hre quicker than I respond to our employees or clients :P
        Last edited by tehcamel; 23rd April 2009, 22:22.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

thanks for the help tehcamel...I got everything working right. Creating the www record with our external ip did the trick.

p.s. my lips are sealed :-#

Comment

glad I could assist

Comment

Hate to bring this back from the dead but how would I setup subdomains in my local dns? I tried setting up a new host record record for app1 with our external IP but that doesn't seem to be getting me anywayere.

I also tried creating a host record www.app1. this seems to create a new folder under the ourcompany zone. Still i get nothing. The subdomain works when accessed from ourside our server environment.

Comment

a CNAME record pointing to a host record with the external IP address should do the trick.

Comment

Working...
                X