Win 2003 server + a router help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 2003 server + a router help

Hello, guys how are you doing? this is danyee new member to petri.co.il website and i have questions regarding DHCP server 2003 and a ROUTER, here is the information:-

1. the DHCP server IP = 192.168.0.1 AND HAS 30 DHCP clients in the work station and it has SQL server 2005 is installed, the server has 2NIC and the Name of the server is HP PROLIANT DL 380 and it is x32bit.
    2. the Router (Gate Way)= 192.168.1.1 which is Dynamic DNS; when i start the Router, the DNS will change. and this Router is connected in same SWITCH with the SERVER and there are 25 users are accessing an internet from the Router as work group. right now, my question is how can i connect the internet access both in server and clients? the problem is the server and router are in different sub net. you know guys i have no more experience about the Router, subnneting........

So, please guys i need your help!
    Last edited by danyee; 23rd April 2009, 11:25.

Re: Win 2003 server + a router help

what sort of router, what sort of switch ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

May I inquire as to why they need to be separate subnets?

There are a couple options here - one option is to change the DHCP scope to 192.168.1.x so all clients get a lease that will include the subnet for the gateway IP, also, you would need to change the server IP to 192.168.1.2 or something similar...this will allow all clients to access the internet along with the server.

The other option is to change your subnet mask to 255.255.252.0, which will make it so there are 1,022 usable host addresses available, which could include both 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x - this allows you to keep both IP ranges the same. This technique is called supernetting.
      Don't fool yourself. If you truly feel passionate about something, you will do whatever it takes. If you don't, you'd better get busy pursuing happiness, because it's all you've got.

Comment

Hi, tehcamel how are you doing?

The type of ROUTER =(3COM) OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router
        Version 1.00.00.T11 (11 Sep 2006 15:03:42)

and the SWITCH is = COMTek ( baseline switch, 2250 plus, 3com)

THANKS
        Last edited by danyee; 25th April 2009, 15:48.

Comment

Hi, Eramnes how are you doing?
          I think the 3rd option seems better. You said " change your subnet mask to 255.255.252.0, which will make it so there are 1,022 usable host addresses available, which could include both 192.168.0.x and 192.168.1.x - this allows you to keep both IP ranges the same. This technique is called super netting."

And what I understand is to change the sub net mask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.252.0 in the entire network so that by adding the G.Way to the server and client DHCP, just like this:-

Server ip= 192.168.0.1 also the same process with internet users..
          Sub net= 255.255.252.0
          Gate way = 192.168.1.1
          Dns = 192.168.0.1
          Right now, my question is do you think it doesn't affect the entire network; especially between the DHCP server and clients? Because I have database connected with the clients.
          Thanks
          Last edited by danyee; 25th April 2009, 15:51.

Comment

Originally posted by danyee
            Hi, Eramnes how are you doing?
            I'm doing OK, thanks, sorry for the delay in response, work has been rather "hectic" lately.
            And what I understand is to change the sub net mask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.252.0 in the entire network so that by adding the G.Way to the server and client DHCP, just like this: Server IP = 192.168.0.1 (also the same process with internet users) Subnet = 255.255.252.0 Gateway = 192.168.1.1 DNS = 192.168.0.1
            Correct, you should not have to change anything other than the subnet mask for every machine for this solution to work.
            Right now, my question is do you think it doesn't affect the entire network; especially between the DHCP server and clients? Because I have database connected with the clients.
            It should not, but I would suggest testing any solution if possible before implementing it on a wide scale from terrible personal experience. The change is just telling the clients that they will be able to see everything on both networks. Let me know how it goes. Thanks!
            Last edited by eramnes; 29th April 2009, 03:14. Reason: Why can't I get the " to work? What am I doing wrong?
            Don't fool yourself. If you truly feel passionate about something, you will do whatever it takes. If you don't, you'd better get busy pursuing happiness, because it's all you've got.

Comment

Working...
            X