VPN clients IP address.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN clients IP address.

I want to make my windows 2003 as VPN server.Durning Routing and Remote access wizrd it show "IP Address Assignment" and i choose "From a specified range of address" not DHCP.

Please guide me that here i have to assign the pool of Ip access which the VPN client will use.Suppose i am using windows xp in my home the range I give in the pool is

Starting IP 192.168.1.10
    Ending IP 192.168.1.12

so this means that in the client side i can assign the IP address manually in TCP/IP properties withen the above range? This is a little bit confusing in my mind hope you understand my problem.

thanks in advance.
    mypass

Re: VPN clients IP address.

Originally posted by mypass604 View Post
    I want to make my windows 2003 as VPN server.Durning Routing and Remote access wizrd it show "IP Address Assignment" and i choose "From a specified range of address" not DHCP.

Please guide me that here i have to assign the pool of Ip access which the VPN client will use.Suppose i am using windows xp in my home the range I give in the pool is

Starting IP 192.168.1.10
    Ending IP 192.168.1.12

so this means that in the client side i can assign the IP address manually in TCP/IP properties withen the above range? This is a little bit confusing in my mind hope you understand my problem.

thanks in advance.
    mypass
    When you connect to a VPN server a virtual connection is established in addition to your existing physical connection (your NIC).

So, your existing network card with IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is used to connect to the Internet and make the connection to the server that hosts the VPN.

When the connection is successful and your user details are authenticated a tunnel is opened between your PC and the VPN server. A new virtual adapator is used (often called WAN-MiniPort) and is assigned an IP address that is compatible with the IP addressing system that is used on the network to which you are connected. The IP address that is assigned is taken from the range that you specify. The address is assigned to the virtual adaptor by the VPN server.

You do not need to manually assign it yourself.

All you are doing by specifying a static range of addresses is saying you want the VPN server to user a specific address range: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

yes i am interested in PPTP.For that purpose in windows server 2003 i am using a Public IP address & specify the range to my remote client computer with is 192.168.10.1.
      In remore computer windows xp is running it is using a dialup connection .It extablish a internet connection and when connect with VPN with a valid windows user ID & the server IP address (which is assign durning VPN connection in xp) it shows an error message .

" Error 678:The remote computer did not respond.For further assistance,click More info or search help and support center for this error."

Please help me how can i fix it.
      thanks.

Comment

You need to tell us how you have set up your VPN.

For example, do you have both IAS and RRAS setup properly on the server? Have you made sure that there is an entry for both the server and the gateway device in the router list - they should be be listed in IAS. You should also ensure that the shared secret is the same on each of the devices - you set this in IAS>RADIUS Clients and on the gateway device itself.

On the gateway you need to ensure that RADIUS ports are being forwarded to the IAS server (1812 and 1813), and that PPTP port 1723 is also being forwarded to the server.

Comment

well it is a ver simple RAS server. No RADUS in it. A simple server & the Ip ranges i had already mentioned.

One the client side windows xp is running with a dial up & no lan card in it.The purpoase is just to connect to the VPN server.

Comment

hmm, well I've never been able to connect to a VPN network when already within the network - is that what you are saying? Your client needs to be outside the network if you want to test it.

Apologies if I have misunderstood you.

Comment

Working...
            X