Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Consolidating all FSMO Role to one DC in single domain forest

Hi All,

My current AD forest is consist of single domain DOMAIN.COM and the functionality is still Windows 2000 Native because our file server is still on Samba 2.2.8

and the DC configuration is like this:

Server A - 1st DNS + DC Global Catalog (Schema Master role)
    Server B - Exc.Srv07 + DC Global Catalog (PDC,RID,Infra. Master, Domain Naming master)

Would it be better if i put my schema master role into Server B for the ease of backup and if Server A restart, server B still can send and receive email ?

I need your advice and suggestion guys, what should i do about it ?

thanks.
    ________
    YSR80
    Last edited by Albertwt; 21st January 2011, 11:14.

Re: Consolidating all FSMO Role to one DC in single domain forest

Originally posted by Albertwt
    and the DC configuration is like this:

Server A - 1st DNS + DC Global Catalog (Schema Master role)
    Server B - Exc.Srv07 + DC Global Catalog (PDC,RID,Infra. Master, Domain Naming master)

Would it be better if i put my schema master role into Server B for the ease of backup and if Server A restart, server B still can send and receive email ?
    Outlook clients only require a DC and Global Catalog server to authenticate (http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=35316), so either server will do for that. Exchange should still send and receive e-mail even if a DC is down.

As I understand the roles, the Schema Master will only be needed if you are making changes to the AD schema, such as when you are installing things that add property pages to user properties and the like (Exchange, OCS, etc.) If you want to consolidate roles, it makes sense for backup purposes, as if one server goes down for good for one reason or another, you will have to seize those roles from the server that will not be coming back online, whereas if everything is on one server, you can be up and running just by doing a non-authoritative restore, then allowing AD to replicate changes made since the server went down. This will work from Directory Services Restore Mode, even after a complete hardware failure, given some basic information about the local machine that has failed; such as the local Administrator password, computer name, domain name, and the hard drive partition scheme.

You can transfer roles by following the directions from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504. Please be sure to *transfer* and not seize.
    Don't fool yourself. If you truly feel passionate about something, you will do whatever it takes. If you don't, you'd better get busy pursuing happiness, because it's all you've got.

Comment

Agree with eramnes. Exchange doesn't require the Shema master in order to function. In a single domain forest with two DC's I don't see any point in splitting the roles. I would move them all to one DC. I would also make them both GC's.

As far as transferring the roles is concerned, ntdsutil is a little intimidating for someone who hasn't used it before. You can transfer the roles using the GUI tools on the DC.

Comment

OK,

Thanks to all for your suggestion, i shall transfer the schema master role using the GUI tools to the Exchange Server 2007 and back up Server B.

Yes Joe,
        my domain is quite small and it only has 2 DCs as i mentioned below.

Cheers,
        AWT
        ________
        marijuana indica
        Last edited by Albertwt; 21st January 2011, 11:17.

Comment

using the steps defined in here should be easier

Code:
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324801
          thanks for the response guys.
          ________
          2RC146
          Last edited by Albertwt; 21st January 2011, 11:17.

Comment

Yep. That's the way I usually do it. Glad to help.

Comment

Working...
            X