Setting up new server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up new server

I'm going to be going from an old 2003 server that we are maxing out and upgrading to a brand new dell server, also running 2003.

I'm wondering what the best way to do the server migration would be.

The current server is in charge of DNS, Print Service, and Active Directory.

Is there an easy(good) way to move all this over? Can you just 'export' these things?

I've played around a little bit but not enough to just jump the gun and do it.

Maybe some good documentation? Part of my problem is terminology...is this a server move...a migration...so it makes it hard to search when you're not sure of the verbage.

Thanks.

Re: Setting up new server

Hi,

Make the new Dell server a Domain controller of the existing domain.
    Make it a DNS server.
    To make it easy the DNS should be AD integrated with the replication scope of All DNS servers on the Domain.
    Ensure both DC are fully replicated.
    Move/Copy files accross from old server to the new one (Ensure that any reference to the old location has been updated)
    Transfer the FSMO roles to the new server and Clients also point to the new DNS server.

Finally gracefully demote the old DC.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

May be just my way of reading it but it seems that old server is your only DC? Why not promote the new server as an additional DC, leave the old server for printing and set the new one as main FSMO holder and primary DNS for clients? You then get fault tolerance and a performance boost for AD.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
        Hi,

Make the new Dell server a Domain controller of the existing domain.
        Make it a DNS server.
        Gotcha, I've done that before, so that shouldn't be too bad....only once though
        To make it easy the DNS should be AD integrated with the replication scope of All DNS servers on the Domain.
        What do you mean by this?
        This will be the only DNS server - small time operation

Ensure both DC are fully replicated.
        You mean backups?
        Move/Copy files accross from old server to the new one (Ensure that any reference to the old location has been updated)
        Gotcha.
        Transfer the FSMO roles to the new server and Clients also point to the new DNS server.
        Nice link! Will do some reading up of that.

Finally gracefully demote the old DC.
        Is it better to take the old DC off the network first? That way there won't be any confusion about which one is which and they won't fight each other.

I guess if I were to type out my 'to do' list I'm looking at it like this:

1. Get roles, data off old server.
        2. Shut down old server.
        3. Boot up new server and set up as DNS, print server.
        4. Move roles and data on to new server.

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
        May be just my way of reading it but it seems that old server is your only DC? Why not promote the new server as an additional DC, leave the old server for printing and set the new one as main FSMO holder and primary DNS for clients? You then get fault tolerance and a performance boost for AD.
        With only 25 users do you think it's really worth it? I'm getting the feeling that they don't do enough to warrant it. It is the only DC.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Cornick View Post
          With only 25 users do you think it's really worth it? I'm getting the feeling that they don't do enough to warrant it. It is the only DC.
          Depends how much time you want your users to spend without its services whilst you are recovering it in a failure, a choice between none and a few hours.

With your todo list, if you turn off the first server then you would have to start seizing roles and then this means you have to cleanup the remains of the old server from AD. There is no problem with them running together, they will not fight as they are designed to run that way!
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
            With your todo list, if you turn off the first server then you would have to start seizing roles and then this means you have to cleanup the remains of the old server from AD. There is no problem with them running together, they will not fight as they are designed to run that way!
            Ok, so I keep the old one up and hook up the new one. Once I've done all the transfer of things I can shut down the old one and the new one will realize it's the lone ranger and just take over?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Cornick View Post
              Ok, so I keep the old one up and hook up the new one. Once I've done all the transfer of things I can shut down the old one and the new one will realize it's the lone ranger and just take over?
              Well It depends what you mean by "Shoot down". You'll need to demote it: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc740017.aspx
              But as Andy observed, it is better to keep them both for fault tolerance if you can justify the cost. Then if you do that all you need to do is transfer all the roles to the new one and leave this one as a file server.
              Replication is different than backup. Roughly, replication is the process of the AD database being replicated to all Domain controllers. For more info : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-master_replication
              As far as DNS is concerned. If you make it AD integrated then the Zone is stored in AD and is updated as part of the AD replication (dependent on the replication scope you specify). So there is no need to worry about DNS Zone transfers.
              With this configuration you don't need to worry about DNS when you eventually demote the Domain controller if you do.
              Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
              X