nslookup works, ping, tracert and IE don't

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nslookup works, ping, tracert and IE don't

I've picked up a customer that has a W2K3 std, sp1 server.

AD role is not installed, just app server, file server and print server.

IP is setup with a static ip, using the ISP's dns servers.

from the cmd prompt, if you do nslookup <website> it returns the correct info,
    however, tracert, IE and ping all come back with "request could not find host <website>. please check the name and try again."

customer wants to be able to surf internet from server (against my advice).

customer also reports that they can't access shares on the server unless they use \\<ipaddress>\sharename using \\<servername>\share doesn't work.

not sure where to start, open for suggestions.

Dave

Re: nslookup works, ping, tracert and IE don't

As far as accessing the shares is concerned, it sounds like there's no internal DNS or WINS servers installed and NetBios over TCP/IP is disabled, that's why they can't connect to the server by name. Either enable NetBios over TCP/IP or set up an internal DNS or WINS server.

Can you post the results of the nslookup so that we can see what DNS servers are being used and whether recursion is being used?

Comment

ok, enableing netbios over tcp/ip has gotten browsing by name working.
      but I still cannot browse the internet by name. if I know the ip of the site I need, I can put that in the address bar and it opens fine.

server has one nic: ip 192.168.1.XXX, 255.255.255.0 gw 192.168.1.1
      dns 192.168.1.1 and 208.231.96.12 (provided by ISP)

nslookup www.yahoo.com
      Server: dslrouter
      Address: 192.168.1.1

Non-authoritative answer:
      Name: www-real.wa1.b.yahoo.com
      Address: 209.191.93.52
      Aliases: www.yahoo.com, www.wa1.b.yahoo.com

ping www.yahoo.com
      Ping request could not find host www.yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again.

Comment

That's the strangest thing. The DSL router is performing recursion as eveidenced by the nslookup results. Here's what I would do at this point:

1. Install microsoft network monitor 3.
        2. Start a capture with netmon and apply a capture filter of DNS.
        3. Clear the dns resolver cache.
        4. Run nslookup for www.yahoo.com
        5. Clear the dns resolver cache.
        6. Open your web browser to www.yahoo.com
        7. Compare the results and post them here.

Comment

What happens if you set the ISP's DNS as your primary DNS server???

Is it worthwhile setting up DNS on the server and using the ISP's DNS as a forwarder??? You already have the server there so it won't be that hard to setup.

I'm not keen on using DSL modems/routers as DNS servers.

Comment

you could also try just bouncing the modem/router device and see if the dns server is mssed up there..

I'd probbaly try this step, then test, then clearing the dns resolver cache, then test
            and then approach it from joeqwerty's aspect
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
              I'm not keen on using DSL modems/routers as DNS servers.
              Quoted for truth.

I've had less than stellar results with using those things for DNS "servers". If I were you, I'd change the DHCP settings on whatever you use as a DHCP server and hand out OpenDNS's server IPs to your clients. Fast, secure and even offers some rudimentary content filtering if you so choose. Or you could put DNS on the office server and then put OpenDNS's servers as forwarders.

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
              you could also try just bouncing the modem/router device and see if the dns server is mssed up there..
              Not a bad idea, either.
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
              -------------------------------
              Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
              Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
              Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
              Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

We've tried putting the ISP's dns servers as primary and secondary with no change in the results.

We've cycled power on every device on the network, even the printers, no joy.

Of note: the pc's are all using dhcp from the dslrouter and ipconfig shows their dns settings to be the same as the server, yet NONE of the pc's have any problems getting websites to open, only the server.

Joe, I will try your suggestion monday and let you know.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Dave

Comment

IE Server Security setting, wateer it is ? The thing that comes turned on by default ?
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

IE security settings won't cause DNS lookups to fail. It's not a connectivity or security issue in IE as browsing via ip address works. It seems to only be a name resolution problem apparently isolated to IE.

Comment

HOSTS file problem???

Comment

Working...
                      X