No announcement yet.

Server keeps rebooting after update

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server keeps rebooting after update

I have a Windows Server 2003 Ent. that keeps restarting itself. This server holds WSUS and I guess something went wrong with an update and now if I don't log in the server will restart and it will take me to the logon screen wait 30 seconds or so and restart again. If I log in before restarting, the server will stop restarting. Every time I restart, windows update will pop and say that an update was installed and windows needs to be restarted. It will show the same message no matter how many times I restart the server.

The only work around I found was to set the automatic updates service to manual. Now if I restart the server, the service won't start and the server will not restart itself. This of course is preventing new updates for being installed.

This warning keeps logging every minute or so:

Detection of product '{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}', feature 'OutlookUserData', component '{8ADD2C9C-C8B7-11D1-9C67-0000F81F1B38}' failed. The resource 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\ Outlook\UserData' does not exist.

The users account on this warning, is an account we created to be used with GFI MailArchiver. This account is not an administrative account.

Last edited by geekinput; 14th April 2009, 21:53.

Re: Server keeps rebooting after update

A couple of things:

1. Have you looked in the event logs for additional clues?

2. Do you have the system failure option set to do a restart? Maybe it's a system failure causing the restart and not the update.

3. Try creating the registry entry referenced in the message and see if that stops the restarts.