Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Disconnected from server' - Remote Desktop problem

Hello folks

I am having issues connecting to some servers and PC's using remote desktop.

We have a Windows Server 2003 AD environment. VPN has been set up for several years and works fine.

Until recently, I was able to connect to the VPN and use the mmc Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) snap-in to connect to any PC and server on the network. Now this does not work. If I try to connect to a client I see 'Connecting to server 192.168.0.114' followed a few seconds later by 'Disconnected from server'. The same happens if I use the stand-alone Remote Desktop Connection program that allows you to connect to a single remote machine.

I can connect to the domain controller (DC), and while connected I can use RDC from the DC to connect the client 192.168.0.114.

No events are logged during this time either on the servers, the clients or the PC's we are using from home. I have no idea why this has suddenly started. The number of connections is not an issue because there are only two of us that use RDC and we always disconnect. Old sessions are terminated. Both of us are domain admins, are members of the Remote Desktop users security group and account settings are set to 'allow' for dial-in.

This is happening from both Win XP SP3 and Vista Ultimate SP1 home PC's.

The only changes that have occurred recently are that I have installed MS Search Server Express a few months ago, and more recently, I installed Sharepoint Services on the Domain Controller. All the machines (both network and home PC's) are fully patched.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening, please?

Thanks
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: 'Disconnected from server' - Remote Desktop problem

Hi,

So the connection is up, although you cannot open an RDP session?

Is terminal services running?
    Are the machines listening on 3389 (you can use PortQry to check this)?
    I read something about this a while back, although forgot to bookmark the article. It was along the lines of stopping the IPsec service, re-booting the problem machine and re-starting the service - may be worth a try.

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by simonsays View Post
      Hi,

So the connection is up, although you cannot open an RDP session?

Is terminal services running?
      Are the machines listening on 3389 (you can use PortQry to check this)?
      I read something about this a while back, although forgot to bookmark the article. It was along the lines of stopping the IPsec service, re-booting the problem machine and re-starting the service - may be worth a try.

Simon
      Thanks for your reply.

We do not use a 'Terminal Server' as such, but the service is running on all the machines.

I just don't understand what has happened. This was working fine until recently.

I'll have a look for information about IPsec and see what it says, although again, this is something that has not been implemented.

Cheers!

Comment

I think this is sorted out.

After posting this I applied the Windows Updates the following thursday which led to printer access (via the print server) being cut off for the whole organisation (and I was on holiday...). Also, VPN access failed completely. RADIUS requests were not even being serviced by IAS.

The spooler error - 'The print spooler is unable to connect to your printer' was displayed after rebooting. The server has two NIC's and both have local addresses. Another event error message: 'NLB Cluster 0.0.0.0 : Cluster mode cannot be enabled due to parameter errors.', led me to the configuration for each NIC (but we don't have a 'cluster'). Only one NIC had Network Load Balancing enabled so I turned NLB off. After a reboot this restored printing.

However, VPN access failed, but this time the failure occurred during verification of username/password, so at least it was getting to the RADIUS server

So, bearing in mind that the configuration of the second NIC seemed to be responsible for the printing problem I started to check for errors between the NIC and Remote Access.

After a lot of searching I had to do the following to restore VPN access:

Disable the second NIC
        Remove it from RRAS (after which it re-appeared)
        Reset the shared secret in IAS, RRAS and on the router
        I also stopped and disabled the IPSec service on the RADIUS server

The VPN still failed after applying these changes, but after a reboot of the server it worked.

I don't understand why this occurred. As I said, this was working fine until recently.

Just have to see if the VPN keeps working now...

*fingers crossed*

Edit:
        Just checked Remote Desktop Connection over the VPN and it is just fine and dandy
        Last edited by Blood; 23rd April 2009, 19:31.

Comment

Working...
        X