Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to configure a alternate DNS server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to configure a alternate DNS server?

In my network i am using windows server 2003.A seperate machine is used to configure DNS server and it is working fine. I want to deploy alternate DNS server in another box so in case my first DNS server is down the alternate may active.
    How can i configure it ?
    mypass

Re: How to configure a alternate DNS server?

1. Install Windows Server 2003/2008
    2. Install DNS on said server.
    3. Point clients and servers to the new DNS server for resolution.

Why not use DNS on your DC and have it AD integrated??

Comment

yes i have configured it with AD and it is working fine.

Comment

Hi mypass604,

If you can have another spare machine ( don't require very high end) then it would be better to have it configured as another DC.

During installation, you could configure it as a second DC of the same domain, with AD integrated DNS to work as Replication Partner.

The will provide you with DC & DNS redundancy in event of the failure of the first DC.

You may check the following link.

http://www.petri.com/how_to_install_...ndows_2003.htm

Cheers,

Pankajb

Comment

well thanks for the reply .I want to discuss one thing more that when we take the properties under the DNS console which is DC1 in my case these is

1-Interface
          2-Forwarders

The forwarders tab is clear that in it we should give the IP address of our ISP but in Interface tab which have two options

Listen on

All IP addresses
          Only the Following IP address.

Please just explain these two options that in which situation we should choose
          "All IP addresses" & "Only the Following IP address."

Comment

interface is you current IP address for that new server so the local IP

forwader should be the ip address of ur existing server. so yes select only the following ip address. you can add your local ISP DNS as well for external web name resolution

Originally posted by mypass604 View Post
            well thanks for the reply .I want to discuss one thing more that when we take the properties under the DNS console which is DC1 in my case these is

1-Interface
            2-Forwarders

The forwarders tab is clear that in it we should give the IP address of our ISP but in Interface tab which have two options

Listen on

All IP addresses
            Only the Following IP address.

Please just explain these two options that in which situation we should choose
            "All IP addresses" & "Only the Following IP address."

Comment

Working...
            X