• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFS replication best way?

We have three sites in three cities

Site A --primary DC
    Site B--Secondary DC
    Site C-- Secondary DC

all sites hase setup DFS we using DFS to store user's profile and home drive. now if one DC goes down of have problem it will pull the profile from the second DC that's how it works.

Now site B DC has died and its pulling the profiles from primary DC at site A and because site A is the biggest and have the most users. Its causing some griefs and slowing down the primary DC.

Now is there a way i can setup DFS in load balancing mode somehow so it pulls half from site A and half from site C. Can i setup all three DC in some way so if tomro Site A DC dies then if will fall back on other two sites with load balancing?

I know terminal servers have that load balancing thing. Does microsoft network load balancing will do what i want?

Re: DFS replication best way?

Originally posted by zrider View Post
    We have three sites in three cities

Site A --primary DC
    Site B--Secondary DC
    Site C-- Secondary DC

all sites hase setup DFS we using DFS to store user's profile and home drive. now if one DC goes down of have problem it will pull the profile from the second DC that's how it works.

Now site B DC has died and its pulling the profiles from primary DC at site A and because site A is the biggest and have the most users. Its causing some griefs and slowing down the primary DC.

Now is there a way i can setup DFS in load balancing mode somehow so it pulls half from site A and half from site C. Can i setup all three DC in some way so if tomro Site A DC dies then if will fall back on other two sites with load balancing?

I know terminal servers have that load balancing thing. Does microsoft network load balancing will do what i want?
    How is your namespace and links setup? You can change the link referral order.

Comment

Originally posted by Garen View Post
      How is your namespace and links setup? You can change the link referral order.

Its setup in Full mesh topology but i don't see any settings to setup like 50/50 load

Comment

What is data size you have for the Home drive, if data size is more than 20 in that case DFS is not recommended for replication, Instead you volume replicator.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          What is data size you have for the Home drive, if data size is more than 20 in that case DFS is not recommended for replication, Instead you volume replicator.

20 GB or MB?

My data size is 260MB which is not much.

Now i can't find the replication time, i think i setup that for every 15 mins but i can locate that now.

Is there a way u can manually force replication?

Comment

Is there a way u can manually force replication?
            You could try DFSRDIAG SYNCNOW.
            Also Ultrasound is a good tool.
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
              You could try DFSRDIAG SYNCNOW.
              Also Ultrasound is a good tool.

i am using DFS only, and one of the server is saying status "Not eligible"

what that means?

Comment

i am using DFS only, and one of the server is saying status "Not eligible"

what that means?
                Are some of the servers using Server 2003 R2? DFS is different between regular Server 2003 and Server 2003 R2 due to Remote Differential Compression. If that is the case, I am not aware of a resolution to this issue.
                Don't fool yourself. If you truly feel passionate about something, you will do whatever it takes. If you don't, you'd better get busy pursuing happiness, because it's all you've got.

Comment

Originally posted by eramnes View Post
                  Are some of the servers using Server 2003 R2? DFS is different between regular Server 2003 and Server 2003 R2 due to Remote Differential Compression. If that is the case, I am not aware of a resolution to this issue.

No they are all on windows 2003 server with SP2

Comment

Not SP2 -- Server 2003 R2 (different product)
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                      Not SP2 -- Server 2003 R2 (different product)
                      ya i know that, that what eramnes was asking

Comment

Working...
                      X