right click on my computer nothing happen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• right click on my computer nothing happen

All of a sudden when I right click on "My Computer" and I choose "Search..." from the pop-up menu, nothing happen.
    This is on a Windows server 2003 Enterprise Edition SP2 and It occurs only with a couple of users which are member of Domain Admins.
    With another user, also member of Domain Admins, this function works well.
    Strange isn't it?
    Is there any Active Directory policy that can be used to perform such a thing?
    Please advise.

Re: right click on my computer nothing happen

Do you have a GPO that disables the right click for the network users? Are the Dom Admins a member of any group the GPO has been applied to?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply.
      I don't think so because even the local administrator of the server is affected by this thing.
      Any other ideas?

Comment

You might want to use RSOP on the affected users and compare that to the results of the unaffected users just to make sure that it's not some previously unknown GPO causing mischief.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Originally posted by frank78 View Post
          Thank you very much for your reply.
          I don't think so because even the local administrator of the server is affected by this thing.
          Any other ideas?
          Don't take any notice of that. I inherited a bunch of schools where the Domain Admins had been included in the GPO. Was not a happy chappy.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank you again for your reply.
            When I try to run "rsop.msc" with a user affected by the problem, I receive the following error:
            "The RSoP snap-in was unable to generate the RSoP data due to the error listed below:
            Access denied".

If I use a user NOT affected by the problem I can run RSOP without problems.
            I have compared both profiles but at first sight, I have not found any differences.
            Any other ideas?

Comment

Try running Group Policy Results from GPMC for one of the affected users.

Comment

Do you mean running rsop for one of the affected users?
                Already done but I don't see anything strange.
                No idea.

Comment

Well when I hear RSOP I ususally assume you're running it from the affected machine as the affected user. Is this the case?

What I meant is to run Group Policy Results from the GPMC console, select the affected computer and user and view the report when it's completed to see what policy settings are being applied and from where.

Comment

Hi Frank78,

What Joeqwerty suggested is to run Group Policy Results from the GPMC Console as shown in the attachment 'GPMC.jpg'.

On the GPMC, if you right-click the Group Policy Results and run Group Policy Result Wizard, then you would obtain Group Policy Settings of the affected machine as shown in the attachment 'GPMCSetting.jpg'.

This will help you to further diagnose the probem.

Cheers,

Pankajb
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for elaborating and providing the screenshots, Pankajb. Hopefully that will make it clear for the OP.

Comment

Thank you very much to "joeqwerty" and to "pankajb" for your support and time.
                        I really appreciate.

Now I need some time to analyze the reports.
                        I'll be back soon.

Comment

Well, I have compared the reports and didn't find any differences.
                          Now it's really becomes difficult.
                          Any other idea?

Comment

I don't understand, what do you mean "I have compared the reports and didn't find any differences"? What reports were you comparing. My suggestion was to run Group Policy Results from GPMC and see what settings were being applied to the user and computer from which GPO's. So what settings did you find were being applied? Maybe you can post a screen shot of the results.

Comment

I used "Group Policy Results" from "Group Policy management", run the wizard for the affected server/user and obtained a report.
                              I have done this for a user not affected by the problem and for a user affected by the problem.
                              Am I missing something?
                              See attached files.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X