Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be the best network setup for a Win2003 Server & 20 PCs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be the best network setup for a Win2003 Server & 20 PCs?

Hi all,

I'm trying to optimize / re-arrange a small network that belongs to my friend & need some clarifications.

There is one File Server (Win 2003 Server) and about 20 workstations (XP Pro) connected to a switch & ISP modem.

There was also a Cisco Firewall unit that I took it out of network since it wan non-functional, that was also providing DHCP.

What I have done is:

I have connected all the PCs & Server to the Switch, connected the switch to a router that is in turn connected to the ISP modem.

This router is acting as Firewall unit plus DHCP server, that is configured with the Static IP provided by the ISP.

I'm interested to know what else I could to to better optimize the server / network functionality plus hardening the overall security, and DNS functionality.

Or even if you have a better idea for the topology??

Thank you in advance for your help,

Fardin

Re: What would be the best network setup for a Win2003 Server & 20 PCs?

why u not using the server as DHCP? it will take off the load off the router.

I would use the router as firewall and might consider using two nics on the server to setup DMZ that way u will have more security.

file server will still work even if u lose the internet or router.

Comment

Thanks zrider, it's a good point to take in consideration, but not sure on DMZ zone part, what do you mean by that?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Fardin View Post
        Thanks zrider, it's a good point to take in consideration, but not sure on DMZ zone part, what do you mean by that?

Thanks,

if u got two nic on the server u setup one nic on external ip range like 10.*.*.*
        and second nic u use as internal ip range 192.168.*.*

You will have to setup some routes on the router so that internal ip can get out to the internet with the corrent default gateway

That way you only exposing one NIC to the external world. And all ur internal network is secure on different ip range.

or
        if ur router is smart enough

just use one router in DMZ like router on 10.*.*.* and setup server nic on 192.168.*.* network and setup route on the router.

This way if someone is trying to hack into ur network max they can get to is the router and not the server. I think that's the best pratice anyways

hope that helps. I would like if someone can find any flaus in this if i miss anything

Comment

Originally posted by Fardin View Post
          I'm trying to optimize / re-arrange a small network that belongs to my friend & need some clarifications.
          What type of router is it? Is Active Directory being used? Personally, I wouldn't bother with a DMZ unless there was a pressing need for it. It adds complexity that is unnecessary for what would be in this instance very little (if any) increased security. Furthermore, putting one of your server's NICs as a DMZ node now exposes that machine to DMZ traffic and you'd need to keep closer watch on the DMZ firewall rules to make sure that nothing was exposed that you didn't want it to be. Do you have any services that you need to expose to the outside world like FTP or HTTP? DHCP won't be a load on the router, but putting DHCP on the server is a great idea if Active Directory is involved. When faced with decisions, always choose the simplest solution that gets the job done well. I tend to get overcomplicated in my solution design and almost always regret it later.
          Wesley David
          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
          -------------------------------
          Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
          Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
          Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
          Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Is this a peer to peer network or is the Server 2003 a Domain Controller?

How do you know the Cisco was non functional? It may be just configured incorrectly. It may have a corrupted IOS and needs an update.

Really need more details about the present layout of the network and what the eventual goal is. Saying you want to optimize / re-arrange does not tell us anything. eg, is SharePoint on the server something that will optimise the "business"? Do you want all User Data kept on the Server for central backups, therefore some sort of Quota may need to be implimented. Get the picture on the information we need?

What is the hardware on the Server? Does it have any RAID array? Does it have a UPS? Is there any backup device, tape, NAS, USB HDD etc?

As just mentioned, what is the Router make & model? What is the make & model of the switch? Any wireless devices? Printer? etc etc

This will help get you the best suggestions possible.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X