2003 primary DC convert to VM image

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 primary DC convert to VM image

We need to convert or only primary DC (physical server) into VM. Easy right but wait the problem is.

ESX server sit's in different subnet(same network) so once we convert it to VM it will have all sorts of DNS issue. So what's the best way to do this?

Two ways i can think of

1. Setup new VM installed everything from the scrach and create as secondary DC once happy with the settings convert it into Primary DC? not sure how its will work we only have one primary DC

2. Use the VM converter to create VM image and then load it n ESX server make the ip and dns changes manually?

any other best ways?

This is a live production environment. so I can't afford to screw this up any help would be appciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: 2003 primary DC convert to VM image

Does the ESX server HAVE to sit in a different subnet? Couldn't you just trunk the port going to the ESX server nic(s) and manually tag VLANs with ESX to have the servers in their correct subnets and the DC in it's correct subnet.

Comment

Just add an additional DC you should have at least two anyway.

Comment

ESX is already in different builing and on different subnet can't change that.

Is it possible to have two primary DC's? I think we only have one primary DC now what if i setup a new secondary DC on that ESX server and then promote it to primary DC is that the best way?

Comment

Working...
        X