Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 requires shared folder password after XP client reboot

Hello,

After set up of a shared folder on my Win 2003 Server, I chose to have an XP client connect, and save credentials for the mapped drive. It works fine for that session.

But I find the XP user must enter the password again every reboot? I selected to save the credentials, why does it need them again?

Thank you in advance.

Re: 2003 requires shared folder password after XP client reboot

Is your server part of an AD domain or workgroup. Is the XP client part of the AD domain or workgroup?

Is the account used to log on to the XP machine a domain or local user account?

Comment

server is workgroup

xp client is workgroup

xp logs on to local computer account

<no active directory is used or planned>

Comment

neglected to mention, the mapped drive icon appears in the My computer window each reboot. it is when double-clicking it that it requests username and password all over again.

Comment

I see. Is Simple file Sharing still active?

Comment

Put the XP Username and Password account onto the Windows Server 2003. That will give them access to the mapped drives without having to enter credentials.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks to Virtual for responding to my thread. The information supplied by biggles77 seemed to work perfectly. Apparently, in a non-AD setup, the username and password must be duplicated perfectly on both the XP client and the Server which houses the share. I left the server-side user account as a member of the Users group, and enabled full control over the share for that user (tailored to my specific needs).

I had to leave the site after completing this setup, and was not able to see if Simple File Sharing was enabled or not. Perhaps that will be the key to solving this without needing to duplicate accounts in the future. I would be interested if someone else who runs into this problem will test and find out.

Thanks to all.

Comment

This is a classic reason to move from a workgroup to a domain
                Given you already have Server 2003, any good reasons NOT to?
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

There are probably not any good reasons not to upgrade. Mostly, I was just sleuthing this problem because the mapped drive connection was not saving the password ("Reconnect at logon" checkbox seemed broken). The XP client was using XP Professional, with SP3. A few Google searches revealed that this sometimes happens at random: 4 out of 5 computers in a 2003 workgroup will save credentials for "Reconnect at logon," while the fifth won't, inexplicably... If I click on the mapped drive within the XP client after a reboot, it showed as "Disconnected."

I suppose I am a little hesitant about the domain upgrade for this situation. Would that entail creating roaming profiles, and having user's documents reside on the server? The users connecting to that server do not have a dedicated Microsoft Certified admin. The setup would have to run itself after I left the site. It would have to have some foolproof way of backup / never losing data. Right now the users self-backup to CD once per week.

Comment

No, you dont need RPs or redirected documents, although both can be done easily and would move the backups to the server side (much safer)

You dont need a dedicated admin as long as you have remote access to the server
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

By having domain, you can have users save to a network location instead of a local one. You then control the backups and will be more fool proof than relying on users to backup.

If setup right from the outset and planned, maintenance and backups will be automated and straight forward.

Comment

Working...
                      X