No announcement yet.

How to configure a dedicated DNS server.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to configure a dedicated DNS server.

I want to configure DNS server in a separate/dedicated machine.The scenario is the 1st machine is running

Windows 2003 server with Active Directory with

IP address

DNS Server windows 2003 server

IP address

Prefered DNS

When i try to resolve by nslookup it says "unknown server" I want to integrate my DNS server with Active directory if i use a seperate machine then it is possible?

Well if i configure DNS durning Active Directory t configure properly but want to make DNS in another machine.

i know that there is some mistake from my side when deploying a dedicated server for DNS.i should be thankfull if you may kindly help me .

Re: How to configure a dedicated DNS server.

I believe AD integrated DNS only runs on DCs. Not sure if you can create a secondary zone for an AD int zone but my first question would probably be why do you want DNS on its own box? (I realise there are valid reasons but just wondering). You may find setting the second box up as a DC would be a better idea?

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Does your DC point to the seperate DNS server for DNS resolution???

What is your setup on your DNS server??

thanks for the reply. well there are 500 computers in our company so it is good to make a separate DNS server.

There is a AD & additional Domain controller i want to keep my DNS in another box due to load .I doesn't know how to point my DC fora separate DNS resolution.How can i do it please let me know.

IMHO keep DNS on your DCs so you can take advantage of the Active Directory Integration.

500 computers (in one site?) needs good DC planning as well so maybe another DC or two would be a good idea
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **