tombstoned DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tombstoned DC

I would like to re-introduce a tombstoned dc back into a network.

I have found these instructions in another post but not exectly sure if they apply in this case. It depens what is meant by online - I can attach it to the netork and it works but is tombstoned so doesn't replicate.

Can anyone confirm that this procedure applies or is the best procedure to follow.

Power up the tomstoned DC NOT connected to the network
    do a metadata cleanup on the tombstoned DC OR is it on the PDC or both.
    do dcpromo /forceremoval
    connect it to the network and do a dcpromo

Thanks

copy of a post Originally Posted by LauraEHunterMVP

- - - - - -

From a DC in your domain that is still online (there is no need to, nor would I recommend, powering the DC back on at this point), perform a metadata cleanup of the old DC as follows: http://www.petri.com/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm

If you wish to re-introduce this DC into your environment, power it up while NOT CONNECTED TO YOUR PRODUCTION NETWORK, and run dcpromo with the /forceremoval switch, after which you can reconnect it to your network and re-run dcpromo as though it is a normal member server that you are promoting for the first time.

- - - - - -

Default tombstone lifetime is 60 days; this can be lengthened or shortened, but 60 is the default.
    As the DC has been offline for more than 60 days, the point here is that the OP -cannot- safely turn on that DC again without incurring a USN rollback state within his domain.
    The appropriate steps here are:
    • Metadata cleanup/seize any necessary FSMO roles from an existing DC.
    • dcpromo /forceremoval on the tombstoned DC -while physically disconnected from the network-.
    • Do with the no-longer-tombstoned-DC as you will

Re: tombstoned DC

Yessir. I can confirm that is what we had to do less than a month ago on a dozen DCs. Make sure you clean up the metadata and DNS (although you seem to be on top of it since you are already there).
    Two things:
    1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
    2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

Comment

Thanks for the info

Just to cinfirm one point does the metadata cleanup need to be done on the Tombstoned DC and/or on the PDC which is still working OK.

How about any other DC's we have.

Recommendations Please.

Comment

Assuming I have understood you correctly and you want a tombstoned DC back into the fold, in the registry, add an entry in the following location.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\NTDS\Parameters

Add the DWORD value:
        Allow Replication With Divergent and Corrupt Partner

Set the value to 1

Add this entry to the tombstoned DC and to another DC. Go into AD Site & Services and force a manual replication, as per image, between both DCs that have the DWORD added. Now throw a party and welcome the wayward DC back into the fold.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tombstoned-replication.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	463998

[EDIT] Forgot to insert a reference link. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc757610.aspx (Scroll down to near to bottom of the page.) Also, don't forget to take heed of changing the DWORD back to 0 (zero ) as per the reason mentioned.
        Last edited by biggles77; 10th April 2009, 21:38. Reason: Added reference link. Fixed typo
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

!

That is pretty much all I have to say about this.

Too bad I didn't ask a month ago, that would have saved me a boatload of work. I guess that is what happens when you THINK you know something. LOL
          Two things:
          1) If I wrote something wrong please please please let me know. I want to know ESPECIALLY if I am wrong.
          2) I have a tendency to write things that are misconstrued as being agressive or not so pleasant. That is not my intent.

Comment

This looks just right and will give it a try and report back.

what do you do with the possible inconsistent deleted objects that it warns about?

Thanks

Comment

Have tried suggestion by biggles77 -

and after a day or so seems to be working.

Thanks for the tip really good.

Comment

Working...
              X