Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing 2003 server

Hi,

we have an existing Windows 2003 server with AD/DHCP/File share.
    As the machine gets old we need to replace the box. What is the best way of doing this ?
    When I just setup a new server and give it the same name it won't work as AD does not like the clients. So can I setup the new server without AD connect it to the network and promote it so AD gets copied to the new server then demote the old server and give the new server the same name as the old server ??

Never done the promote demote thing so some details would be good.

The hard way would be to setup the new server and put all workstations in a workgroup and join to the new server but that way it will create new profiles on the PCs and I have to copy all the profile stuff on 15 PC accross.

Matt

Re: replacing 2003 server

DCPROMO the new server, transfer all the FSMO Roles to the new Server (don't foget to make it a GC ) and remove old DC once data etc has been moved across.

Then you can renane the Doman Controller if it is really essential to have the same name as the old DC. http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_do...ler_rename.htm
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi Matt,

Get the new server and add it as an additional domain controller (Should have too really for fault tolerance).
      Start transfering the FSMO roles and DHCP/DNS
      How to transfer FSMO roles
      How to move the DHCP database
      How to move the data accross or Permcopy and robocopy

Ta
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks,
        I'll have a look at those links. It all sound easy but if you've never done it before it's not. I don't want to stuff up the server.
        It is a very basic setup. They only have one shared folder and everyone has full access to it. Also some printers are installed on the server and shared. That's it.
        I'll take an image of the new server and will try DCPROMO in the office to see what questions that will ask me before I'll go on site.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by roadrunner View Post
          Thanks,
          I'll have a look at those links. It all sound easy but if you've never done it before it's not. I don't want to stuff up the server.
          It is a very basic setup. They only have one shared folder and everyone has full access to it. Also some printers are installed on the server and shared. That's it.
          I'll take an image of the new server and will try DCPROMO in the office to see what questions that will ask me before I'll go on site.

Matt
          It may be just as easy to manually create the shares but for future reference, the relevant share registry keys can be exported from the old server and in to the new. I am not entirely sure which ones but I'm sure a google search will show them or somebody else already knows.

Comment

Virtual:
            Thanks, I'm not worried about the shares it's more to get the old workstations logged on to the new server without creating new profiles on all of them which I think is done with the promote/demote thing.

Matt

Comment

If your not sure on things I think you should be looking at getting someone in. There are always hidden gems you will miss when doing a migration.
              Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by ]SK[ View Post
                If your not sure on things I think you should be looking at getting someone in. There are always hidden gems you will miss when doing a migration.
                Small site, 15 users. One can't ask for a better size to learn on. If it does get screwed then there are only 15 users to join back to the Domain.

Roadrunner, make sure you backup ALL data and document ALL settings BEFORE begining the process.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X