Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NIC Conflict involving Roaming Profiles.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NIC Conflict involving Roaming Profiles.

We are testing a standalone fail-over capability on a workstation with Windows XP Professional that runs a SQL DB locally should the network go down as part of our company's DR/BC project. The workstation has two NICs, one is configured to connect to the domain and one is configured to connect to a switch that is connected to a receiver (proprietary alarm panel monitoring equipment) all via RJ-45. Both network connections have DHCP disabled and the second network connection going to the switch which connects to the receiver has no default gateway. The network connections (one for each NIC) also have separate IP addresses on the LAN.

When logged in locally on the workstation, we can run the SQL DB locally from the second NIC. With the first NIC we can see the domain and various network shares, resources, ping other workstations, etc. When I log off and log back in with both NICs enabled, the workstation will not be able to communicate with the DC to get the server copy of the roaming profile so it uses the locally cached copy. When I log off and back in with the NIC that connects to the domain enabled and the NIC that connects to the switch (and through the switch connects to the receiver), it is able to find the specified path where the server copy of the roaming profile resides and it logs in fine.

Ideas?

Re: NIC Conflict involving Roaming Profiles.

Edit: We figured this out. Turns out removing Print & File Sharing and QoS on the 2nd NIC resolved the issue.

Thanks guys!

Comment

You could give us more than 10 mins to try to help you know !!

Which NIC is set as primary in the bindings anyway?
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by hcaulfield View Post
        Edit: We figured this out. Turns out removing Print & File Sharing and QoS on the 2nd NIC resolved the issue.

Thanks guys!
        That woul have to be the fastest post and solution post back yet. Well done on figuring out so quick and sharing the info with the rest of the Community. Thanks!!
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Edit: It only fixed it until we rebooted. Could this have something to do with the fact that both NICs are the same make and model? Same MAC address maybe? I'll have to check and see when I go into work tomorrow, as uninstalling the QoS and File and Print Sharing from the 2nd NIC only seemed to resolve the problem until we rebooted the workstation.

The NIC that connects to the domain is primary (or should be)..
          How do I check for that?

Comment

Working...
          X