Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 Enterprice Edition RAM restriction

Hi all,
    I have upgraded one of our server from windows 2003 standrad edition to Windows 2003 enterprice edition. I upgraded RAM of system from 3 GB to 8 GB. System boots up and every thing working fine. Only problem is in Control pannel -- system .. it is showing 3 GB RAM. Though RAM is upgraded to 8 GB. I tested RAM and RAM is ok. I came to know that MS 32 bit edition can only show 3 GB RAM not more than that. My question is that is system utilizing full 8 GB RAM or it is only using 3 GB?

Re: Windows 2003 Enterprice Edition RAM restriction

Have you set the /PAE switch in your boot.ini file?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283037
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If it is a HP server then check you have enabled "No Execute Memory Protection" in the BIOS / Advanced Settings / Processor Options.
      x32 can show at least 4GB within Windows depending on host OS etc.
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by ahmer_sahab View Post
        Hi all,
        I have upgraded one of our server from windows 2003 standrad edition to Windows 2003 enterprice edition. I upgraded RAM of system from 3 GB to 8 GB. System boots up and every thing working fine. Only problem is in Control pannel -- system .. it is showing 3 GB RAM. Though RAM is upgraded to 8 GB. I tested RAM and RAM is ok. I came to know that MS 32 bit edition can only show 3 GB RAM not more than that. My question is that is system utilizing full 8 GB RAM or it is only using 3 GB?

Basic answer to your question is, no, in it's present configuration, if your OS is indeed the 32bit version, then it is NOT using the full 8GB memory. In which case, you should consider points as mentioned by AndyJG and Ossian and check the /PAE switch amongg other things
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

If you're running the RTM release then you'll need to add the /PAE switch to the boot.ini file. If you're running SP1 or SP2 then DEP and PAE should be implied if the CPU supports the NX bit. If not, then you'll need to use the /PAE switch in the boot.ini file.

Comment

Thanks Guys,
            /PAE switch worked. Now my Windows server display actual amount of RAM installed.

Comment

Working...
            X