Delete dead DFS root

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delete dead DFS root

I run two Windows 2003 domain servers, one in my office, and one in the library two buildings away. The one in my office failed and is awaiting repair. I configured server-2 with FSMO duties without difficulty. But I wanted to point my DFS root at the file store on that computer, since of course the stuff on the dead computer is unavailable. But it is no go. The DFS was created on server-1 and the root apparently cannot be deleted or altared from server-2. *I* can access the files, but my users cannot for they do not know the path.

The file store on server-1 is a RAID-5 array and is independent from the operating system. The file store on server-2 is a RAID-0 array and is indpendent from that operating system as well as from the first array. Replication is via third party software hosted on server-2.

The array on server-1 was set up using DFS root \\Richardton\Scriptor to point to server-1.

I want to make it point to files on server-2. I cannot seem to make this change since server-1 is dead.

What commands or procedures might I try to forcibly remove it from server-1 so I can rebuild it to point at server-2.

Thanks for your help,

Elias

Re: Delete dead DFS root

Hi,

Can this help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940840
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Re: Delete dead DFS root

Yes, that is helpful, or at least it is something that I had not found on my own. I did find some other solutions. I don't recall seeing an option to forcibly remove the root, of if I did, it did not work. I will write what did work, just in case someone else finds this thread and needs a simple answer.

1) stop the dfs service. (net stop dfs)

2) open regedit

3) delete the Volumes folder and any sub keys under
      HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DfsHost.

4) delete all sub folders under
      HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControSet\Services \LocalVolumes,
      but leaving the LocalVolumes folder intact.

5) From the Active Directory Users and Computers:
      select VIEW > Advanced Features

6) Open the System Folder and find the DFS-Configuration container
      Delete the DFS root in the right pane.

7) Restart the dfs service (net start dfs)

This information can also be found in the Microsoft database under Article ID 224384

I hope this saves someone a heck of a lot of looking. It took me two days to find this somewhat simple solution to what seems to be a common issue.

Br. Elias

Comment

Working...
      X