Dcpromo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dcpromo

Hi, recently I had an admin tell me that replication has stopped between a couple of DC's on our domain. I confirm this by runnng repadmin /showreps. I contacted a co-worker at one of the remote sites where one of these DC's were residng. Turns out that DC was taken off-line and the admin that contacted me alerting me that replication has stopped knew about that as was suprised he didn't tell me that. Our domain had 5 DC's and now two have been taken off-line. That would be the reason for the failed replication, he has now asked me to remove these DC's from Active Directory and I believe they have not been properly demoted. If I were to have those DC's brought to my current location, can I demote them from here with no problems? Also, if they were to go into "tombstone" state, would that only affect those DC's or the entire domain?

Windows 2003 server standard.

Thanks

Re: Dcpromo

How long ago were they removed?
    If they go into tombstone then you will have to manually remove them anyway. I would find out the day they were turned off and if it is still within the tombstone lifetime I would turn them back on and gracefully dcpromo them out. If they are outside of the lifetime then use
    http://www.petri.com/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm
    to remove them from AD.

I would also have a word with the people turning off DCs too...
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

*All of this is assuming that neither DC is tombstoned and that you plan on bringing them to your location to perform the demotion.

Just an additional note...bringing them onsite and hooking them up (so that you can gracefully demote them) won't work without some changes. This is since they are configured for a static IP of a different subnet then from a routing standpoint they won't be able to communicate with the domain. You will need to change each static IP to one available on the network you plan to hook them to (and set the primary DNS to the PDC, you can set secondary DNS to itself). Also, in AD Sites and Services make sure and move the servers to the site which is assigned the subnet they are being moved to. After that...from command prompt type:
      ipconfig /registerdns
      Ensure that the host records in DNS on the PDC reflect the IP address changes of both DCs, then start the demotion process.

Of course, if they're tombstoned, use the link Andy posted
      ~Kara
      'What we do not make conscious emerges later as fate.' Carl Jung

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
        How long ago were they removed?
        If they go into tombstone then you will have to manually remove them anyway. I would find out the day they were turned off and if it is still within the tombstone lifetime I would turn them back on and gracefully dcpromo them out. If they are outside of the lifetime then use
        http://www.petri.com/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm
        to remove them from AD.

I would also have a word with the people turning off DCs too...
        I know they are not tombstoned yet, I know the day replication stopped which was on Feb 20th 2009 for one and around two weeks later for the other. The problem was the offices were shut down and no one communicated with anyone else. What chaps my hide is, the person that knew about turning off the DC's was some one knowledgable enough to know this is a big no no (well maybe not a big no no, but just the wrong way in general). After I questioned his method on removing DC's with our supervisor, he came back and said he would do the metadata cleanup which I told my sup that was extra work to be done and all for nothing. I'm glad he said he would do it cause I would have declined on doing it since he made the decision to do it in the first place so it's on him as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by karatecki View Post
          *All of this is assuming that neither DC is tombstoned and that you plan on bringing them to your location to perform the demotion.

Just an additional note...bringing them onsite and hooking them up (so that you can gracefully demote them) won't work without some changes. This is since they are configured for a static IP of a different subnet then from a routing standpoint they won't be able to communicate with the domain. You will need to change each static IP to one available on the network you plan to hook them to (and set the primary DNS to the PDC, you can set secondary DNS to itself). Also, in AD Sites and Services make sure and move the servers to the site which is assigned the subnet they are being moved to. After that...from command prompt type:
          ipconfig /registerdns
          Ensure that the host records in DNS on the PDC reflect the IP address changes of both DCs, then start the demotion process.

Of course, if they're tombstoned, use the link Andy posted
          Thanks for responding, yeah I had a feeling that trying to demote them from a place (subnet) other than the one they were known to be from would probably caused some sort of problem, I just didn't know what.

Thanks for you insight.

Comment

Politics shouldn't ever be involved in IT but we can't always get away with it !
            Glad you have gotten some kind of resolution though.
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
            X