Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System CPU/HDD Monitoring

Hi again

Can any of you guys recommend a good piece of freeware(s) that will let me monitor say, the CPU, Processes, HDD I/O, Network Util%, etc over a period of time?

I have a problematic client who says *some* of their network apps literally grind to a halt around certain times (lunch time, end of the day). This is happening on random multiple PC's, on *some* days (ie not every single day)

Having been looking around and around I cant see anything that would cause this. I thought if I could get a historical view on these processes at any given time maybe I could spot the culprit that is doing this...

Google gives me loads of options, but I thought it would be best to get recommendations rather than installing and uninstalling lots of software whilst testing.

Thanks

Re: System CPU/HDD Monitoring

Assuming that these are Windows clients, Performance Monitor sounds like what you need. Just go to start >> run >> perfmon . I've used it on computers to track usage of various resources over long periods of time. Plenty of tutorials and documentation abound on the interwebs.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Wow, I didnt even know this existed...

Although I cant seem to get it to store results for historical review. Problem is I am not based onsite so I will need to get users to email me with the time of the incident, which I can trace back to see what it is exactly that is spiking (if anything).

Also, sure this can tell me for example, the CPU spiked to 100%, but not which process.

I'll keep reading but I have looked through the options and it doesnt seem to detail as much as I need to.

Comment

For long term data collection in pre-Vista operating systems, you need to create a Counter Log underneath the the "Performance Logs and Alerts" node. In vista, I think they're called "Data Collector Sets". For individual process tracking, I think you'll have to add the Process(*) counter object to make sure you get all process that are running. That might be a bit of a performance hit on the workstation though, but of course it's probably worth it to find the problem.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
        X