No announcement yet.

Re: Test DC on the same network as Live DC

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Test DC on the same network as Live DC

Hi all,

I have posted this query earlier on this forum and got appropriate answers. As warned by the members I did not install any DHCP and the rest of the setup is working fine.

Since the earlier post above is closed, I am opening a new topic as I have an additional query regarding the same subject.

Can I now install a WSUS on my test setup?

I am not very sure my posting violates the forum rules by any means as I am opening a new topic that refers to a closed topic. If so, I would like to apologize and request the moderator to let me know what should be done in such a situation.

pankajb, that is fine don't worry. If the original post is closed you couldn't really do much else anyway!

From that post I can't see any reason why you can't install WSUS. What are your worries?

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Hi AndyJG247,
      Thanks for your reply.

I am trying to achieve the following:

My live setup is actually working on a HP Blades and my first Domain Controller DC1 is a VM.
      I have installed test domain controller DCTST1 as a VM as well on the Blade and on same physical LAN segment. So far everything seems to working alright.

From the Disaster Recovery procedure for Domain Controllers, all I could understand is that in an event of the death of a live first DC1, the restoration process is not all a very rosy task.

Moreover there are lot of instances when Servers behave erratic after installation of a update or patch. Thus, I am trying to setup a similar environment with another WSUS in the test environment.

Every time I want to roll an update, I would export the test VM i.e. DCTST1 as a backup and then install the patch. In case something goes wonky, I would then import the backed up VM and perform the setup procedure to revive the DCTST1.

If I can adopt a method to revive my first test DC ie DCTST1 from backed up VM then I would adopt the same method to revive my live DC in case it crashes after an update as both are Virtual machines from same virtualization software.

I understand that if two domains can work on the same LAN segment then why not WSUS as they donít interact unless they are set to synchronize.

However I thought why not take the opinion from the wise men.