Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHCP Issues "Access is Denied"

Hi,

I'm all of a sudden having problems with all Workstaions communicating to the DHCP server (Win 2003 Ent) when running ipconfig /release and /renew. I get a message of: Access is Denied and it give an IP of 192.168.197.X and our Internal network is 192.168.1.X. I've flushed the DNS on the DC...no change.

When I provide static IP configurations, there are no problems with network and internet access except for our Printer and External drive which is in a workgroup.

The DNS works perfectly and there are no problems there.

I ran "netsh diag gui" on the DHCP (DC) server and no problems found. Event Viewer shows no problems either.

Is there a service that I could have disabled accidently when enabling RRAS for (VPN) PPTP?

Could it be a GPO change?

I tried adding "Domain Users" group to Network Configuration Operators on the AD and local groups...no change.

Please help! Thanks.

Re: DHCP Issues "Access is Denied"

Any DHCP server that hears the DHCP request will answer, so it's possible another device (possibly a rogue DHCP server) is answering the client requests. Is there another device on your network that could be acting as a DHCP server? Does the DHCP server have an out of band remote access network card that could be causing the problem? Is the DHCP server dual-homed?

You could probably use a network scanner to discover any and all DHCP servers on your network.

Comment

I have the second NIC configured with an external IP for the VPN connections.

There are no problems with the VPN (RRAS) server but it might be conflicting.

I tried disabling the RRAS server and removing it completely. It didn't make a difference.

I'm not sure where this 192.168.197x address is coming from. We don't have seperate VLANs either (small office).

I downloaded SolarWind Netflow Analyzer but I didn't successfully set it up.

Can you please recommend another free Network Monitoring tool which will do the job?

Comment

Netflow analyzer is a completely different kind of network tool. Try this one instead:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network...Explorer.shtml

Also, check the bindings on the DHCP server properties and see which ip addresses it's "listening" on.

Comment

I found the problem on the network. One of the Web Developers installed VMWare Server running Ubuntu and CVS server on his PC and it was conflicting on the network. All the PCs were communicating to this virtual server for DHCP information. I disconnected his PC for now and asked him to remove it.

Don't you hate it when people do things in your network with out telling anyone?!!! I was troubleshooting this issue for hours and I even restored the default domain policy in AD.
          Last edited by shades; 25th March 2009, 14:46.

Comment

In which case a Host based IDS such as AutoScan Network (Free btw) can do wonders sometimes by proactively monitoring your network for any suspicious activities.

Ta
            Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks guys for all your help and support.

Comment

Working...
              X