Installing update on few laptops & computers through WSUS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing update on few laptops & computers through WSUS

We use WSUS 3.0 with on a Win 2003 AD environment and configured as follows:

In WSUS, under the All Computer we have Groups setup with names Servers, Computers, Laptops, TestComputers, TestLaptops, TestServers.

Under AD we have similar groups and use GPO with Client-side targeting to put the computers and laptops on the appropriate group on WSUS.

Now, generally when I want to test an update I do the following:

• On the AD console, I drag a test computer on TestComputer-OU or TestLaptops-OU
    • On the WSUS console, I approve the patch for TestComputers or TestLaptops as the case may be.

The update gets downloaded and installed later.

Lately it has been reported that we have a few laptops and computers that does not have the latest Daylight Saving Time patche due to which these computers are running with a delayed clock.

I know I can use the above method to install updates on stray laptops or computers that does not have the patch.

The only problem I always notice is that it takes quite a long time before the computer report to WSUS and then downloads the patch. Though this works but it is quite a time consuming process.

Under circumstances like this where the patch is available on most of the other computers, can I copy the MSI file and re-install manually on a computer that does not have the patch.

If I do so, will WSUS detect that the computer has been manually patched.

Is there any harm if instead of the method I have adopted and I approve the patch on the Computers or laptops group on WSUS Console. Will WSUS check the computers that does not have and patch and get it installed.

I am sure there are better approaches and I was wondering if you guys could guide.

A screenshot of my WSUS console is attached for convenience.

Cheers,

Pankajb

Attached Files

Re: Installing update on few laptops & computers through WSUS

If the devices take a little while to update themselves via SUS, you might be able to edit the logon script so it runs wuauclt /detectnow ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: Installing update on few laptops & computers through WSUS

Hi techcamel,
      Many thanks for your reply with the suggestion of adding wuauclt /detectnow on the login scripts.

Since I only had a few laptops and desktop that were running with delayed time, I downloaded the latest Daylight Saving Time patch from MS download and ran the batch file given in the following blog.

http://msmvps.com/blogs/athif/pages/66375.aspx

It updated the clock immediately.

Cheers,

Pankajb

Comment

Working...
      X